Date of registration: Oct 30th 2011

Language Team: Italian

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, October 29th 2013, 9:39am

Pollyglot, the LTI mascot

Hi dear friends,

last year we spoke about having a mascot for the LTI and my best friend Ron Tocknell (who's an illustrator and a cartoonist) drew this parrot and named it Pollyglot playing with the meaning of the word "polyglot" and "Polly" which is a common name for parrots.

Sadly he had some personal problems and couldn't go on with the project, but now he's back and would like to get on with that.
So what he needs is to know what the purpose is and what we want the character does, says, acts, and so on.
Wixi has opened a Google Doc in which we all can write our suggestions, ideas, hints,....
This will help him on drawing the parrot body/eyes/etc. expressions/look of Pollyglot.

Here is a draft of a mascot for the LTI.

http://postimg.org/image/e9xta0ctz/

Thank you!
<3

5 registered users and 54 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Borislav/lizardman, peppe, sarjuva, Ray, Solehin Bin Sabtu

• "giovanna marino" started this thread

Date of registration: Oct 30th 2011

Language Team: Italian

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Saturday, December 14th 2013, 7:46pm

Here is a first example
http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/28612945/file.html

and Ron's thoughts..

"I don't think polly should be doing things on the banner but simply in flight or perched. The focus of the banner is the logo and the text and I don't think polly should be too comedic. The way in which she is portrayed will have some effect on the impression that the banner makes and we want the text to have full control of how it is seen. A jokey cartoon will have different effects on different people. Some will see it as trivial or even think it's just for kids if polly is sunbathing or doing something crazy. Humour must always be used with care.

I think funny polly cartoons would be OK in newsletters to members and so on because they know what the linguistic team is about. But a banner is designed to make people want to click on it so polly should be a passive mascot if she is used on the banner. People will make the connection between a parrot and linguistics and I think that is the only role she should play on the banner.
"

I personally think that Pollyglot should be the first thing one sees on the image.
Please, share your feelings!
;o)

3 registered users and 59 guests thanked already.

Ray, Borislav/lizardman, Solehin Bin Sabtu

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, December 18th 2013, 5:57am

Ron has much more experience with how people perceive cartoons, so I'm very much inclined to go with his recommendations on this. I am also envisioning Polly playing a comedic role on the website, in newsletters, etc., but not so much on a more fully public appeal for people to join our collective efforts to make all of this massively important info officially available across all languages.
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

1 registered user and 54 guests thanked already.

Solehin Bin Sabtu

Used tags

mascot, parrot

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion