• "Tee" started this thread

Date of registration: Oct 27th 2013

Language Team: Suomi

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, November 4th 2013, 4:19pm

Creative Commons License for a translated text

I have a question regarding the license for the newly translated Chapters Guide. Am I supposed to get a Creative Commons license for the translated text? When I translated the Chapters Guide in Pootle, I didn't have to translate the first few pages which include the license information. So, is the translated file going to be under the original license when the file is extracted from Pootle? Is that even legal...?

Chapters Guide's license is: Attribution – Non Commercial – Share Alike 3.0 United States (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)

49 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Tuesday, November 5th 2013, 2:06pm

Hmmm, I'm not sure I understand the question.

I'm definitely not a lawyer, but I think that we don't necessarily need to dive into licenses and such. Putting a CC license on our translations, if needed, is what we've been doing until now. There hasn't been a problem with that.

Now, about extraction from Pootle:

Since the first three pages contain some complicated formatting, they weren't added into Pootle. The way we usually handle such projects is with making a template file (usually a template Open Office file) which has the formatting in place. Then all languages can just replace the formatted text with theirs. If needed, fonts can be installed, too. (I have the fonts the for Chapters Guide.)

As of now, we don't have a template for the very first page (with the picture). I don't even know if that is possible to make with Open Office, without using a program that will require more specific skills.

All languages that have completed their translations need to make a ToDo in order to get the translations out of Pootle plus the Open Office template for the beginning parts, if it (fully) exists.

Let me know if this answers what you were asking. :)

49 guests thanked already.

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, November 5th 2013, 7:43pm

Almost, but not quite...

The guide's license has a ”Share Alike” which means: ”If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you may distribute the resulting work only under the same or similar license to this one.” Translating, to me, seems to fall under the category of ”transform or build upon” and thus the translated text needs to have the same or similar license if we want to distribute it (?). So, as the text gets extracted from Pootle and when we use the templates to translate the first pages, will we simply keep the license information as it is, so the translated file will have the same license information as the original english version? (In the previous question I was wondering if it is legal to have the same license information in both files.)

The template thing for the first few pages seems logical. I'll need the template and the font information when we have made the ToDo. We have a translated version of the picture already waiting. We still have proofreading to do, it's currently underway, ToDo can't be made before that, right?

46 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, November 6th 2013, 5:53pm

So, as the text gets extracted from Pootle and when we use the templates to translate the first pages, will we simply keep the license information as it is, so the translated file will have the same license information as the original english version? (In the previous question I was wondering if it is legal to have the same license information in both files.)

This is what we have been doing until now - keeping the same license information. I don't know why it wouldn't be legal to put the same license in the translation.

About the ToDo's - they are created when a project is ready to be published/released. So no need to make any ToDo's before that.

1 registered user and 47 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Tee

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, November 12th 2013, 5:44am

Ok, good to know! Thank you for your help. :)

59 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion