You are not logged in.

• "4ndy" is male
  • "4ndy" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 17th 2013

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Proofreader

Wednesday, April 3rd 2013, 12:03am

Sam Harris: Can Science Determine Human Values? (2010)

Sam Harris: Can Science Determine Human Values?
Sam gave this lovely talk at the First Congregational Church of Berkeley in 2010.

N.B. two of us have tried and failed to upload this video to dotsub in MP4 format; the upload page told us that the video processing failed. If anyone else can get it to work, that would be greatly appreciated.

Nattka asked me to help edit a transcription of this when I passed through Glasgow on my way back from London Z-Day 2013. She told me someone was ready to timeshift it afterwards.
Here the results of my efforts, but most of the timestamps after about half an hour need to be fixed as amara.org doesn't seem to make it possible/easy to add them while editing. I understand this project was personally desired and might be streamlined as it is not internal TZM material, but if you too enjoyed it and want to see it translated to a shining standard, then feel free to jump on board after timeshifting and make any improvements that you can.
4ndy has attached the following file:

2 registered users and 34 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, Draupnir

• "sarjuva" is male

Date of registration: Jun 26th 2011

Language Team: finnish (suomi)

Focus Group: Translator

Wednesday, April 3rd 2013, 7:37am

Intresting talk, i'm listening it now.

It does not seem (to me) related to RBE so i don't see this as LTI project, at least not a central one. However that doesn't deoesn't mean that it shouldn't be transcribed & translated. I've been thinking recently that skeptical/secular movement should have their own "linguistic team" because there is so much good material in english only. But i'm still listening it..

There is a more pragmatic approach that would prevent this becoming LTI-project and that's copyright issues. LTI prioritizes on those project that it's free to redistribute. This presentation is either copyright of Fora.tv (according to watermark) or rebroadcasted by Fora.tv. Right to redistribute this video with translations would need to be negotiated.

But carry on what you are doing...

2 registered users and 23 guests thanked already.

nomada, 4ndy

• "4ndy" is male
  • "4ndy" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 17th 2013

Focus Group: English Proofreader

Thursday, April 4th 2013, 4:19pm

Intresting talk, i'm listening it now.

It does not seem (to me) related to RBE so i don't see this as LTI project, at least not a central one. However that doesn't deoesn't mean that it shouldn't be transcribed & translated. I've been thinking recently that skeptical/secular movement should have their own "linguistic team" because there is so much good material in english only. But i'm still listening it..

There is a more pragmatic approach that would prevent this becoming LTI-project and that's copyright issues. LTI prioritizes on those project that it's free to redistribute. This presentation is either copyright of Fora.tv (according to watermark) or rebroadcasted by Fora.tv. Right to redistribute this video with translations would need to be negotiated.

But carry on what you are doing...
Thanks for bringing that up, I had forgotten to mention that the video is listed on YT under a 'standard Youtube licence', so permissions would have to be asked for in order to re-distribute it. I was unsure on whether it would cause trouble to upload it onto dotsub publicly, and so we were trying to upload it without public access simply because dotsub has such a convenient interface to offer for editing timestamps at the same time as the subtitle text itself.

This video is relevant insofar that Sam puts forward a case that science should take centre-stage in arriving at appropriate societal decisions where there is some moral concern, contrary to claims of moral authority put forward by some religious leaders, but I am well aware that we should soon have plenty of core TZM footage to work on from the recent international Z-Day events.

We were also talking about making a long-term effort to transcribe and translate Robert Sapolsky's 2011 Stanford University lecture course on 'Human Behavioral Biology', an extremely relevant course that the university has released footage of under a CC-NC-ND licence.
I'm not sure whether Creative Commons licences specifying 'No Derivative Works' count a provision of subtitles as a derivative work, as there is technically no cutting/mixing/editing involved, especially if subtitles are software-generated separate to the original video file, although a case could be made that the subtitles are derived from some abstract information (spoken words) represented within the video footage. I'll have to read up on that unless anyone here has already done so, although I usually say that if in doubt: 1. ask the author for permission, and 2. get on with it anyway, since authors are responsible for making any claims based upon copyright and may tolerate or even approve of your work if they are of this world-improving mindset. So we're in agreement there :)

1 registered user and 25 guests thanked already.

nomada

Nattka

Unregistered

Wednesday, April 10th 2013, 1:07pm

Here's a time-stamped version of the subtitles, if anyone is interested to do this great lecture in their language. Enjoy! :)

As for copyright issues, I made an inquiry about that. Hopefully, they'll answer to this one because I had contacted them before regarding transcript, and got no answer.

Thanks a lot, Andy! :thumbsup:
Nattka has attached the following file:

1 registered user and 29 guests thanked already.

4ndy

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Thursday, April 11th 2013, 8:09am

Your efforts make me think about this. Before your replies, I saw just a few minutes of the lecture and became with the impression that the content was as unfortunate as the title, even that there is some point in truth. Now I wonder if I missed to understand something :D Listening again :seymour:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

22 guests thanked already.

Nattka

Unregistered

Monday, September 9th 2013, 8:57am

Happy to announce the translation and dubbing are completed. :)

The video with both English and Russian subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F99DLTN7Lc8

Dubbed in Russian: http://youtu.be/A2aaOCUooQ4

1 registered user and 27 guests thanked already.

nomada

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion