You are not logged in.

• "aganon77" is male
  • "aganon77" started this thread

Date of registration: Dec 16th 2011

Language Team: Spanish

Focus Group: Translator

Sunday, March 25th 2012, 8:36pm

Jen Wilding. Communicating RBE concepts

This needs proofreading and time shifting (after uploading the file to dotsub)
http://www.universalsubtitles.org/en/vid…3Ewq/en/257022/

35 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 5:13am

Thank you Aganon77 :smiley: Did you transcribed it yourself? In the English team we have, for a few times,transcribed some videos offline, with VisualSubSync, for example. That software allows us to transcribe very easily according to the guidelines related to the size of the strings/timeshifting guidelines , the speed/density of the subtitles (characters per second), and while using a spellchecker for English. This makes that the transcription and translations become much easier to read and the video passes much quicker and easier through the Timeshifting and 2 rounds of English Proofreading (Actually, it even helps the translations proofreading, since the translation would be done only after the English is proofread and the difficult terms/frases would be discussed on the forum and added to the glossary .
If you would like to help with transcribing offline it would be great! Let me know ;)

hugs

PS- This video is about to be added to the "Transcription Team " list, as I think it was already uploaded to dotsub :thumbup:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 35 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

aganon77

• "aganon77" is male

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 5:20am

Yes I did that, however I was kind of "in a rush" 'cause it was my last free week, so I don't think I can commit to do that anymore (at least for a year or so) and I know it has a lot of mistakes but I was really aiming to have a translation in spanish more than having a really well transcribed and proofreaded version of the video. I know about the guidelines (and how important are those specially for other languages) but as I said I was in a rush so I just shared to save some effort there. I really see my transcription like a very low quality one, and I feel sorry about that :P

Anyway, I hope I'll be able to make this better in the future Rodrigo

PS: It's hard for me to transcribe from English, my ear is not THAT trained.

30 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 5:50am

Great to see people like you, giving their vacations for these tasks :love: Afonso, the Portuguese guy who made the "It's time to change" series, he also did all those while in vacations, hehe.

I will check your transcription and see how much there is to proofread and timeshift. Surely a good advantage from starting from scratch :thumbup:
The translations that come out of there, through Universal Subtitles... I don't think we can do anything about that. Maybe if we know who created the project he/she can remove it? That would increase the quality of the video translations we turn into public references of the movement on the internet. Which is something to give importance to when we spread a movement which concepts are already many times rejected by the viewer, because of the unfit contents to their mental constructs :D

My ear is also lousy. While transcribing, I can be 5 minutes hearing the same segment of the video, trying to understand which word sounds like "nhenhenhe" :ahaha:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

28 guests thanked already.
  • "aganon77" is male

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 6:34am

The translations that come out of there, through Universal Subtitles... I don't think we can do anything about that. Maybe if we know who created the project he/she can remove it? That would increase the quality of the video translations we turn into public references of the movement on the internet. Which is something to give importance to when we spread a movement which concepts are already many times rejected by the viewer, because of the unfit contents to their mental constructs
I created the project, therefore I translated it LOL and I'm pretty happy it can't be removed even if I wish, however they are always opened, and can be improved, great platforms use universal subs [mozila, drupal, khan academy, zeitgeist italia :thumbsup: ] and they are almost as good as TED talks or the LT with closed teams using dotsub. I don't think that translation is actually a problem, I think the real problem is we don't use that tool as we could. You can time-shift and proofread live there.

In a personal note here: If you are worriend about rejections because of low quality translations, you should be more than worried for the huge gap that exists between the date when a video is released and when it's finally translated.

36 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, March 28th 2012, 1:40am

I also would like that the translations would get to the public with quality sooner. Let's hope more volunteers focus on that effort ;)

39 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion