You are not logged in.

• "angelov" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 16th 2013

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 5:17pm

Help with the translation of Jacque Fresco - What the Future Holds Beyond 2000 - Nichols College (1999)

00:21:20,364 --> 00:21:27,810
It is not possible for any human being to build a frame of reference
of any kind without experience.

What is the meaning of "frame of reference"? And can you give a synonym that will help me with the translation?

52 guests thanked already.
  • "Jimmy Page Jr (Chris Pap)" is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Saturday, November 9th 2013, 11:49pm

Hey Angelov. For me, this is one of the toughest terms to explain. I will try to give you some help with it, but I really hope that some native speaker will add to it. I also think you should better ask it on the facebook group, where it will definitely receive a quicker reply https://www.facebook.com/groups/LinguisticTeamInternational/

First of all, in semantics, a 'referent' is the physical object which is associated with a certain word (or linguistic sign). For example, the word "sun" has as a referent this shiny planet you see every morning up in the sky, which gives life to everything on earth. In order to avoid all this long definition, "words" evolved, and the English equivalent for this shiny planet...is "sun". Now, it is important to remember that the "word" is not the "referent". These are independent entities which humans connected in order to facilitate communication. In other words, the object exists in the non-verbal realm. You could see the sun as a baby when you didn't know the word for it. Plus, in different countries there are different words for this shiny planet...like "sol" in Spanish but they all refer to the same thing.

Now, a frame of reference in a nutshell is the lens through which you see a certain situation or a system or the whole world. It is also a way to evaluate the methods you use in order to accomplish something. For example, if you have the current economic model as a frame of reference, then economic growth is considered something good, because money liquidity and movement is increased. If you have the planet's sustainability as a frame of reference, economic growth is destructive because consumption means depletion of the Earth's finite resources.

Does this help at all? Please let me know. I really hope that you don't get my word for all these and that others will add to this, because what I talked about may only be an aspect of this term.
Signature from »Jimmy Page Jr (Chris Pap)« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

1 registered user and 61 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

angelov

Translation Proofreader

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 11:07am

Yes, I also understand it that way. May be a good translation would be "frame of knowledge (experience)" or "point of view". I really would like to see the opinion of a native speaker as you say, thank you very much. :)

111 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 6:28pm

Hey Angelov. For me, this is one of the toughest terms to explain. I will try to give you some help with it, but I really hope that some native speaker will add to it. I also think you should better ask it on the facebook group, where it will definitely receive a quicker reply https://www.facebook.com/groups/LinguisticTeamInternational/

I will disagree with this suggestion, Christos. The reason we have a forum is so that information can be shared here. This way it is preserved and remains as a knowledge base. People can later search for the same question and find the answer. Besides, the plan is that we put all such answers to translation questions in a single system and make that available to all translators, so they can consult with all of the already answered questions on this forum.

So, that's my reasoning for encouraging everyone to ask and share information right here, in the forum. :)

2 registered users and 50 guests thanked already.

Christos Pap., ossi11111

Language Coordinator

Sunday, November 10th 2013, 9:15pm

I never thought of it this way. Yes, it is better here so that it remains as a knowledge base. Thanks, Boris.
Signature from »Jimmy Page Jr (Chris Pap)« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

61 guests thanked already.

Translation Proofreader

Tuesday, November 12th 2013, 4:17pm

00:38:40,989 --> 00:38:53,980
The damn pin is an 8th of an inch off center."
He says "Yeah!" I said "If you put a couple of washes on the side
you can move the pin right on center."

What is the meaning of "pin" and "washes"?

59 guests thanked already.

Language Coordinator

Wednesday, November 13th 2013, 12:07am

I have never seen them again. I think you will have to search in an encyclopedia about weapons.

46 guests thanked already.
  • "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Thursday, November 14th 2013, 5:39pm

Pretty hard indeed, I couldn't find anything concrete, but I am wondering if he's actually saying "washers" instead of "washes".

48 guests thanked already.
  • "ossi11111" is male

Date of registration: Nov 27th 2013

Language Team: German

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Thursday, January 30th 2014, 8:36pm

00:21:20,364 --> 00:21:27,810
It is not possible for any human being to build a frame of reference
of any kind without experience.

What is the meaning of "frame of reference"? And can you give a synonym that will help me with the translation?

I translated this video some weeks ago into German. There is a very good German word for "frame of reference" which is "Bezugsrahmen". Maybe it doesn't help at all, but I translated my German translation to Bulgarian using an online tool and what I got is the following: "Референтна рамка". I cannot even read the letters. :D Sometimes the translation from another language creates other results that are more helpful. Just a try. :)

First of all, in semantics, a 'referent' is the physical object which is associated with a certain word (or linguistic sign). For example, the word "sun" has as a referent this shiny planet you see every morning up in the sky, which gives life to everything on earth. In order to avoid all this long definition, "words" evolved, and the English equivalent for this shiny planet...is "sun". Now, it is important to remember that the "word" is not the "referent". These are independent entities which humans connected in order to facilitate communication. In other words, the object exists in the non-verbal realm. You could see the sun as a baby when you didn't know the word for it. Plus, in different countries there are different words for this shiny planet...like "sol" in Spanish but they all refer to the same thing.

It sounds like you read "The Tyranny of Words". An amazing book full of relevant content, at least to me. And on top there is much humor. ;)

00:38:40,989 --> 00:38:53,980
The damn pin is an 8th of an inch off center."
He says "Yeah!" I said "If you put a couple of washes on the side
you can move the pin right on center."

To my knowledge, the pin is the thing, which starts the whole firing action. It hits the part of the round which contains the explosive. For more information: Firing pin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perhaps there is a translation available on the left side of the Wikipedia to a language you may understand that is nearer to Bulgarian than English (Russian, Slovenian, Ukranian). By my very bad knowledge, these languages are very closely related, aren't they? So you can use this as a hint on how to translate it.
The thing with the washes I translated into German by context and not word by word. I translated something like "If you go over it for cleaning for a couple of times, you can center it again."

I don't know if anything of this helps and my answer probably comes too late, but maybe it helps some other guys who read this. :)
Signature from »ossi11111« Willst du beim Übersetzen mithelfen?
E-Mail an: GermanLingTeam@gmail.com

Bisher veröffentlichte Videos mit deutschen Untertiteln:
GermanLingTeam - YouTube

2 registered users and 53 guests thanked already.

Borislav/lizardman, nomada

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion