You are not logged in.

• "DionisOdam" started this thread

Date of registration: Feb 25th 2013

Language Team: Italian

Focus Group: Translator

Saturday, September 20th 2014, 6:56am

Jacque Fresco - Technocracy, City Strategies, Sourcing Information - Feb.9, 2011

Hi fellow

I'm stuck in this video with one sentence.

http://youtu.be/OTEq1joaTWA

min 5.10

"We have no evidence to support ideas that were put out there for free"

- Does anybody knows more in depth what Jacque meant with this sentence?

Thanks

1 registered user and 31 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

benzaiten

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Saturday, September 20th 2014, 7:01pm

I would say ask Roxanne about this one. It seems complicated and it's important to get it right.

My best interpretation, based on what he says in the whole video, is: "We have no evidence to support the notion that ideas should be put out (in the public domain) for free". But still, ask Roxanne to make sure we have it right, and then post the answer here. :)

2 registered users and 32 guests thanked already.

benzaiten, DionisOdam

• "DionisOdam" started this thread

Date of registration: Feb 25th 2013

Language Team: Italian

Saturday, September 20th 2014, 10:37pm

Thank you Lizardman :)

I've already sent the question to Roxanne but as they now are very busy with the documentary she is going to answer later, after the documentary will be released.

Thanks for your answer, by the way I'll keep thinking about it and let's see if we can arrive at the most correct conclusion asking more opinion to the other users ;)

1 registered user and 37 guests thanked already.

benzaiten

• "ossi11111" is male

Date of registration: Nov 27th 2013

Language Team: German

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Sunday, September 21st 2014, 7:00am

The sentence seems a bit broken but I am trying to rephrase it like I understood it (similar to lizardman):
I don't think it's a good idea to just put out new inventions for everybody to use in his or her sense. Now comes the reason why ...
Then he states that you can always use technology in a good and in a bad way. You can use a hammer to put a picture on the wall or you can use the same hammer to harm somebody when hitting him or her on the head. So if people do not have a saner value system it is very dangerous to give them new technology because they could misuse it – e.g. the atom bomb. Another reason is that you need to know who created the technology so you can ask him questions to understand it better.
So Fresco does not see any evidence that putting out ideas in the sense of new inventions for everybody to use has an advantage that is bigger than the disadvantages. Also new technology would patch the current social and economic system for a short amount of time and afterwards the problems could be even more severe. If you create a system to use oil more efficiently and let everybody use the system for free it will take more time until there is no oil left. But it does not deal with the problem that the oil will run out eventually. By doing so social pressures would be lessened but the overall problem of people dying because of using money to regulate the distribution of goods and services with all of its ramifications, like greed for example, would still exist.

Does this explanation make sense to you?
Signature from »ossi11111« Willst du beim Übersetzen mithelfen?
E-Mail an: GermanLingTeam@gmail.com

Bisher veröffentlichte Videos mit deutschen Untertiteln:
GermanLingTeam - YouTube

3 registered users and 31 guests thanked already.

benzaiten, DionisOdam, Borislav/lizardman

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion