Date of registration: Jun 11th 2013

Language Team: Arabic

Focus Group: English Transcriber
Translator
Linguistic TechTeam Group

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 11:42pm

New commer introduction

Hi everyone in the LT,
I am Louahem M Nacer from Skikda in Algeria, and I want to be part of the efforts made in translating materials from English to Arabic.
I have a technical background (mathematics, computing and electrical) so my translating in arabic will be basical and needs proof reading.
I can also translate from English to French, and also I am training myself to master databases software, (PHP, MySql, Access ...), maybe I can help in the future.
Thank you all for the good work you do and I wish to do the same, Bye

2 registered users and 71 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, Ray

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Wednesday, June 12th 2013, 11:56pm

Really cool to have you around to help, Nacer!! : )
I'll show you where you can find the materials to translate so you can choose what you like, and how you can communicate an collaborate with other volunteers. Every project translated is proofread by another person before it is published, no worries ; )

So you can help either with video subtitles translation or with text materials. Any of them is done in online platforms making it really easy to participate. You do as much as you want, what you want and when you want. I only suggest that you communicate all that you do so we can build some collaboration between volunteers ; )

- For videos, register in dotsub.com (tutorial )

- For text materials, register in Pootle (tutorial )

To find a project in the Aabic forum section, check here: http://forum.linguisticteam.org/language…going-projects/
If you choose any of those projects in that section, check the dotsub location to see if anyone started translating it and feel free to help finish it. Before you start, post in the project's forum thread so everyone knows and post again when you finish the translation.

If you want to search any other project, search for the forum thread of what you want, in any of these categories: videos, texts or images translation, that you can find here: http://forum.linguisticteam.org/language…or-translation/
After you find something you like and checked the status of the Arabic translation in the dotsub Working Location, copy the info from the thread into a new thread in the Arabic forum section, so the Arabic team don't get lost on what is done, being done or completed ; )

Let me now if you have any questions on any of these. I would love to help and it would be a joy : )

hugs,
Rodrigo (nomada)
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ray" (Oct 5th 2015, 11:45am)

60 guests thanked already.
  • "Nacer" started this thread

Translator

Thursday, June 13th 2013, 10:31pm

Thanks a lot Nomada, I think all is clear now, I want to begin with text translations to familiarise and then go to video translations, I have registered in Pootle and now I am searching for a text to begin with.
I f I have trouble or any question I let you know immediately.
Thanks again
Hugs
Nacer

Public Relations Group

Friday, June 14th 2013, 1:17am

Great, Nacer! Thanks! : )
I don't see you in Pootle, so it might be that you registered without having chosen any projects in your settings? You need to choose projects so Pootle warns the admins and they give you access to translate. You can choose several projects even if you aren't sure you will work on them later ; ) Try this tutorial, in case you need some guidance on how to do that : )
http://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/Help:Pootle

After you have chosen a project, you will be given access to "submit" and "suggest" text. The 1st one deletes whatever was suggested previously by another volunteer. The option "suggest" only ads a translation alternative, and so keeps all the input from all the volunteers. Always use suggest, except if the translation box is empty (1st time).

Have fun! And let us know which project you are working on as soon as you start it ; )

hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

71 guests thanked already.

Translator

Friday, June 14th 2013, 9:55pm

Hi Rodrigo and thank you very much for the help,
It's done, I choose many projects on Pootle, but I am still confused for what to choose as text material to start translations, so can you give me an advise to how to choose or tell me wich project is urgent and so important to finish.
Another question : After I choose the project I have to post a thread in both forums?? or only arabic Forum?

Thanks again

Hugs

61 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Friday, June 14th 2013, 11:54pm

Hi Nacer!!
There are some projects that are more relevant indeed. For example the Venus Project Press Kit, or Designing the Future, or even reviewing the translation of the FAQ section of TVP website http://pootle.linguisticteam.org/ar/venu…_site/vp_faq.po. This is one of the parts of the website which was translated but not reviewed, so we can not put it up until someone tells us it is with good quality translation.

I will give you acess to the projects right away ; ) If you start in any of them, post in the Arabic forum; if a translation, create a thread in the Translations section. If Proofreading, creat it in that section : )

I am around.Ask anything you need : )

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ray" (Oct 5th 2015, 11:46am)

55 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Saturday, June 15th 2013, 12:05am

Another thing I forgot...
When translating or revising translations in Pootle, use SUGGEST always that there is already a submitted translation by another volunteer; this way the translations submitted by others wont disapear. If the translation box is empty, you can use SUBMIT.
On a later stage, another volunteer, or a group of 2 volunteers (you and someone else) Can go through all of them and select the best translation suggested between everyone, or build a best version. That will be the definitive revision with no turning back and the result goes to the website/book/etc.

In case of the FAQ part of the TVP website, pending revision, as soon as you are done revising it we can upload it to the site.

Translator

Saturday, June 15th 2013, 10:29pm

Hi Rodrigo!!!,
Thank you a lot for your help, I want to start with the TVP Press Kit,
In Pootle thay indicates that there are 218 words left and 1 review suggestion
So my work consist of suggesting a new translation to the 218 words and suggesting new review
Am I right?? if so, prior to that I post a threat in the arabic forum???

Waiting for your response, and thanks again

Hugs

59 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Sunday, June 16th 2013, 2:05pm

Hi Nacer! : )
Exactly! You can SUBMIT a translation to those missing and SUGGEST translations to all the others that you find less correct. Let me know what you think of the quality of the translation that is there. I have no way to evaluate that, unfortunately hehe, and you can help us arrive at a decision on what to do after you revise it : )

hugs

PS - If you have doubts on any translation, post it here and the others usually are quick replying:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ltzarabia/

61 guests thanked already.

Translator

Sunday, June 16th 2013, 10:26pm

Hi Rodrigo!! ^^
Thanks for all your advises, about the evaluation, I try to do my best but me too need to be evaluated hehehe
As you know the maghreb countries (Libya to Morocco) are not as best in arabic as the middle east countries (Egypt, Lebanon, Syria...), simply because they are the source of arabic language.
I try to push the research as deep as possible to arrive at an acceptable translation (to Me!!!), nevertheless I need help and evaluation.

Thanks again

Hugs

1 registered user and 64 guests thanked already.

nomada

Public Relations Group

Monday, June 17th 2013, 12:27am

No worries, Nacer! I will make a call for "old" translators that have been around and are away for a while or busy with other stuff and ask them to review your translation ; )
Have fun and ask anything you need.

I heard that there is a volunteer willing to translate Designing the Future PDF book, and he might do it offline (out of Pootle), so, in case you change your mind, don't focus on that project so you both aren't translating the same thing in different locations : ) I will try to bring those volunteers here and suggest that they use Pootle instead ; )

Have fun!
hugs

63 guests thanked already.

Translator

Monday, June 17th 2013, 7:07pm

Hi Rodrigo!!
Concerning my translation evaluation, if they find that my arabic is more than acceptable, so next time no need for evaluation so we can save time.
Designing the Future PDF book, ok, if he want to divide the work to be easy, I am ready, if it took time, I prefer to go with FAQ section of TVP, but when I go to the link (http://pootle.linguisticteam.org/ar/venu…vp_faq.po).This there is a message warning on Pootle : Page not found?So how do I start???
Thanks for all your efforts to bring all translators to a one commomn place at Pootle, so it can facilitate all the procedure and we can advance more efficiently.

Hope my first work is a success, asking for more fun!!
Hugs

63 guests thanked already.

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, June 18th 2013, 2:44am

Hi Nacer!! That was fast!! Cool! I will ask Haytham to proofread it : )
It would be great if your Arabic is above average, sure. There are several translations that volunteers said they were needing revision because they have errors or misunderstandings of meaning; and then your help would be precious so we don't have the translations with bad quality shared with the public. Even so, it is always prudent to have someone else revising our translations, because the translator rarely catches his own errors ;)

Try this link instead: http://pootle.linguisticteam.org/ar/venu…_site/vp_faq.po
I think there was a problem with the other link. Let me know if it is working.

hugs : )

58 guests thanked already.

Translator

Tuesday, June 18th 2013, 2:36pm

Hi Rodrigo!!
Thanks!!, let me know when Haytham finished the proofread so I can evaluate my translation.
Yes, if my arabic is above average, I am glad to help with quality translations.
You are right about (because the translator rarely catches his own errors), yes we always need someone else to review, revise and comment our translations.

Thank you for the link, it worked well

Hugs :)

1 registered user and 64 guests thanked already.

nomada

Translator

Tuesday, June 18th 2013, 5:15pm

Hi Rodrigo!!
Just ask you about FAQ part of the TVP website, I take a look and all is translated, so I have only to revise it and if any suggestion post it??

Thanks
Hugs!!

65 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion