Focus Group: Language Coordinator

Tuesday, January 15th 2019, 6:22am

こんにちは。ビデオ・資料の日本語への翻訳をお手伝いしようと考えています

はじめまして、ゆきこと申します。
youtubeで「楽園か忘却か」を拝見し、とても共感しました。
日本語バージョンの映像はまだ少ないようですので、翻訳のお手伝いができればと考えています。
映像資料も膨大にありそうですので、まずこれ、というような資料などご教授いただけたら幸いです。

Nice to meet you, Yukiko.
I saw "Paradise or oblivion" on youtube, and I sympathized very much.
Since the image of the Japanese version seems to be still small, I hope to be able to help translating.
It seems that there will be enormous number of video materials, so I would be pleased if you could teach such materials as this one.

1 registered user and 12 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Friday, January 18th 2019, 12:50am

Welcome Yukiko. It is wonderful to meet you.
I am Ray, the global coordinator for Linguistic Team Int'l.

The Japanese translation for the "Paradise or Oblivion" video is completed and has been published to our Repository Location (for anyone to download the finished SRT file), as well as the Venus Project and Linguistic Team YouTube channels. The Japanese Team link above also refers to an unsupported external translation, but I do not know if it was created with our carefully crafted translation.

As you suspected, there are a large number of important RBE-focused video (and also some text-based) projects available for anyone to help translate and/or proofread. The full list of projects that are ready for translating (meaning that the English Department has already completed their captioning and timestamping) can be found in the Open for Translation section of the forum, where you will find text-based (Pootle) projects in one board, and video projects (dotSUB) in another.

You will find some of those projects already started, but not yet completed, in the Japanese Team's Current Projects board, with each one prefixed to help make it clear what stage they are in (translation not yet completed, or ready for their first round of proofreading). If any of those 'started' projects interest you, let me know and I will guide you into whatever you select. If you prefer to start any of the other projects within our care, also make me aware and I will set up a master Japanese Team thread for it.

I am at your service, so do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have along the way.

Hugs,
Ray
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Ray" (Jan 18th 2019, 6:58pm)

miroku

• "YukikoK" started this thread

Date of registration: Jan 11th 2019

Language Team: Japanese Nihongo

Friday, January 18th 2019, 4:08am

Ray, Thank you for reply.

I have two questions.

For example, what do you do first when you are interested in translating "It's Time to Change: Economy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti…&v=e-bknltXSgE)" to translating?
When reading the bulletin board, there are "guidelines" for translating and activities at each national team.

And,Starting 11 seconds,there is「AND WE HAVE A PLAN」.
I would like to translate the video or text that specifically refers to this plan if possible.
Because the listening skill is weak, we translate things translated by someone using tools such as Google Translate.
Still translation to Japanese is still 2%, so I think that it will be useful.
I would be pleased if you could teach about this plan about texts and videos that you can express well.

2 registered users and 12 guests thanked already.

Ray, miroku

• "Ray" is male

Friday, January 18th 2019, 8:58pm

Hi Yukiko,

The first step for translating any project that is not already started is for us to copy the top post of the English master thread for that project into the Japanese Team's "Current Projects" board, so that you (and anyone else who chooses to help with this project) have a dedicated thread to document your progress. I just created that, so here is the link to the new Japanese master thread. To help others follow the progress of each project, we ask that you post to the relevant Japanese master thread whenever you start working on a translation, and then let everyone know the state of the project when you are done. Such posts can be simply be something like "I am going to work on completing the translation for this video.", and then later, "The translation is now complete, and ready for someone to proofread.", or perhaps "I was able to complete up to the 10 minute mark. If no one takes over the translation, I should be able to resume the work in a couple of days." The idea there is to simply make it obvious to everyone how the project is progressing.

We do have a collection of "guideline" information that was collaboratively developed several years ago by many of our transcription, proofreading and translation volunteers at that time. The first link below provides the starting point, with additional links provided on that page just below the page's title. I have included some of those here as well. Again, I am here to help with any questions you may have after reviewing the information.
https://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/LTI_Guidelines
https://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/LTI_Guideline_Methodology
https://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/LTI_English_Guidelines
https://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/Welcome_Translators
https://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/Englis…nd_Proofreaders

「AND WE HAVE A PLAN」 is merely a part of that video's title. It refers to the entire overall effort of the growing RBE community to make the world aware and better understand the "Resource Based Economy" proposal. We can think of it as all of the collective information provided to the world across all of the materials within our care, so there is no single video or text that I can direct you to for that. It is all of the materials combined that are intended to share 'the plan', by splitting it up into various aspects of life, living, and the potential for real progress on a global scale.

10 guests thanked already.

Monday, January 21st 2019, 2:10am

Rayさん
Thank you for explaining the guidelines etc.
There are detailed rules such as display time for a subtitle.
The Japanese team has little movement, but first of all, I think that it is mixed with the moving project.

Ray

Date of registration: Mar 15th 2018

Language Team: Japanese

Focus Group: Translator

Monday, January 21st 2019, 3:06am

Yukiko さん

実はこのプロジェクトに携わろうとした時点で私が病気をしてしまい、それ以来このスレッドに初めからいらっしゃったmirokuさんとの連絡をとっていません。私よりもmirokuさんの方が進展状況は分かると思いますので、mirokuさん宛にメッセージを書いてみてください。もしくは他に進展状況の分かるメンバーがいるかもしれません。

もし反応がなければ一緒にRayに聞きましょう。

2 registered users and 11 guests thanked already.

Ray, YukikoK

• "Ray" is male

Monday, February 4th 2019, 12:19am

There are detailed rules such as display time for a subtitle.

Yes, but those instructions are specifically for the English Team, which is responsible for setting the global time stamps that are then automatically used across all translations. In other words, our translators do not need to worry about setting up complex timestamps, because they have already been carefully set for all other languages by the English Team.

The Japanese team has little movement, but first of all, I think that it is mixed with the moving project.

Can you expand on what you mean here?

12 guests thanked already.

Wednesday, February 6th 2019, 10:53am

Rayさん

Thank you for your reply.

I am reading a book I found at Linguistic Team International Forum.
I was interested in it, so after reading it I was thinking to ask you.

>>> "Yes, but they are responsible for setting the global time stamps that are then translated. Over all translations. In other words, our translators do not need to worry about setting up complex timestamps , because they have already been carefully set for all other languages by the English Team. "

OK.
So, is it good to advance Japanese translation without worrying about the details?
I think that I will proceed if I read this book.

Thank you.

1 registered user and 11 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Thursday, February 7th 2019, 5:39am

Yes, you do not need to worry about the timing details. It is much more important for translators and proofreaders to focus on the quality of their translations.

There are several global, as well as local, resources that we have available for all translators, proofreaders, and others.
The "LTI Guidelines" information that you are reading is an important part of that, so it is important to ask questions about anything that seems unclear.
I do not wish to overload anyone all at once, so I will introduce you to more of these tools and resources as you progress.

Let me know whenever you have any questions, and also whenever you feel ready to select a project to focus on.
I am fully at your service, my friend.

12 guests thanked already.

Monday, February 25th 2019, 7:20am

Rayさん

こんにちは。
The Japanese team seems to have less activity, and they are active separately.
Please tell me about the site where the results so far have been put together.

For example, is this Japanese team page of pootle?
https://pootle.linguisticteam.org/ja/venus_project_site/

Which Japanese page is dot sub?
Participation in the dot sub in the Venus project has permission.
Please inform us about how to apply.

Regards,
Yukiko

1 registered user and 11 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Saturday, March 2nd 2019, 8:53pm

dotSUB is not separated into Language Teams the way that Pootle is, so there is no specific link to share with you for that.

To make it easy for anyone to see what has been started or completed by each team, all translators efforts must be recorded here in the forum.

For example, you can review much of the process flow of the fully translated "Paradise or Oblivion" project in the master Japanese thread linked below. This thread is within the Japanese Team's "Published Translations" board.
[Japanese Published] Paradise or Oblivion

There are also numerous projects that have been started, but not yet completed, within the Team's "Current Projects" board. Most of those projects are videos within dotSUB, but there is also one master thread for a project in Pootle. If you find a video that you would like to focus on, you will find a link to the project's "Working Location" within the first post of that project's thread. Clicking on that link will open up the dotSUB page where every language team works on their translations. The link below will take you to a video tutorial that shows how to translate with dotSUB, and the second link may provide you with some additional information.
https://dotsub.com/view/30764f64-ffd1-4867-9151-3568179037e7
https://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/Help:DotSUB

Members are able to identify and join any project that has already been started in the Japanese "Current Projects" board, or if they prefer, they can choose start any LTI project that has not yet been started. You will find the master list of LTI projects in the global "Open for Translation section near the top of the forum.

If starting a new project if preferred, just make me aware and I will create the necessary "Master" Japanese thread for it.

I recognize that some of the above information may seem a bit confusing. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions or concerns that you may have. I am fully at your service, my friend.

11 guests thanked already.

Tuesday, March 19th 2019, 6:34am

@Ray:

I am looking forward to recommending,and thank you for teaching us about dotsub's Japanese Tutorial.
After logging in to dotsub and selecting the language Japanese, the translation screen was displayed. However, "Paradise or Oblivion" is 100% complete Japanese translation.
How do you know if someone is already translating or is translating?

2 registered users and 10 guests thanked already.

Ray, miroku

• "Ray" is male

Tuesday, March 19th 2019, 10:59pm

Hi @YukikoK:

We learn what is being done, or what has been done, to a project by reading through its master Japanese Team thread in the forum. Based on what I have read for the "Paradise or Oblivion" project, my understanding is that it is almost completed. I found its master Japanese Team thread already in the "Published Translations" board, but it was not yet ready for publishing. You can read through the thread linked below to gain a stronger understanding of how the project has progressed to its current stage.
[Japanese Final Review] Paradise or Oblivion

On the second page of that thread, @miroku: provides a link that shows that 'someone' uploaded a version of the video to their own YouTube channel, but they embedded the subtitles. Unfortunately, we cannot extract or otherwise use that subtitle to provide supporters with other formats of the translation. We also have no way to adjust the translation if there are any errors found in the English transcription that we use as a templete to translate these projects. In other words, it is impossible for us to support embedded subtitles like that, so I have moved the thread back to the Japanese Team's "Current Projects" board in the hope that you or someone else might review our current translation, improving it if you discover anything that needs improvement.

Since the project is fully translated, and @gentsanc: appears to have performed a first proofreading of the translation, it is not at all surprising that you found it fully translated. However, 100% Translated" is only the first stage of our efforts. This project requires someone to check/test the existing translation to see if any part of it might need improving. If you find nothing to improve, then we can quickly and properly publish it to the rest of the world. If you do find one or more improvements to make, then we can properly publish after those improvements have been made to the translation. That is the idea behind our "Final Review" stage.

I see in another thread that you asked me for something small to translate. I have replied in that thread with a small video suggestion, so please do not feel like you must focus any attention on this very large project. If you choose to, you can always come back to projects like this after you feel much more comfortable working with our tools (dotSUB, the forum, etc.). ;)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Ray" (Mar 19th 2019, 11:37pm)

10 guests thanked already.

Friday, March 22nd 2019, 5:17am

@yukafromtokyo:

ゆかさん、こんにちは。
TVPのサイトで素晴らしい書物を知って読んでいたりして、少々遅れました。
とても興味深いので、参考にURL掲載しときます。
「聖なる経済学」
Sacred Economics: Money, Gift, and Society in the Age of Transition
Charles Eisenstein
https://sites.google.com/site/sacredeconomics2012/home

Rayさんにオススメしていただいたビデオの翻訳を始めました。
[Japanese Translation] Jacque Fresco - Research & Development

実を言いますと、グーグル翻訳と学校英語で試行錯誤しながら翻訳しています。
(それでもまだ2%ですから役に立てるかと思いまして)
まだTVPへの活動に前向きでしたら、ご協力いただけますと幸いです。

1 registered user and 10 guests thanked already.

miroku

• "miroku" is male

Date of registration: Mar 10th 2017

Language Team: Japanese

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Sunday, March 24th 2019, 4:21am

@YukikoK

こんにちは。@Rey さんからDotSubでの進め方とか全体的な字幕付の流れはすでにお伺いになったようです。初めまして。

"Rayさんにオススメしていただいたビデオの翻訳を始めました。
[Japanese Translation] Jacque Fresco - Research & Development"

ということで、コラボりましょうか?@Reyさんや@yukafromtokyoさんとはスカイプでも一応繋がっていますが、一連の流れを可視化するためにこのフォーラムが必要です。

***ENGLISH***

@YukikoK

Hi. I suppose you had learnt from @Rey about general procedure of subtitling through DotSub. Good to hear that.
As you're already dealing with, Mr. Freso's Research & Development, it's a good start. Shall we collaborate?

Nice to e-meet you, btw. :)

1 registered user and 10 guests thanked already.

Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion