You are not logged in.

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Friday, March 15th 2013, 4:41pm

The Venus Project on The Matrix News Network, 2010

The Matrix News Network featuring Jacque Fresco and guest Roxanne Meadows to discuss the Venus Project. (23:32)

Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ray" (Aug 1st 2015, 10:42pm)

2 registered users and 49 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Suze, Ray

Public Relations Group

Friday, March 15th 2013, 4:49pm

There is already a transcript for this project,but not yet inserted in the dotsub location. It can surely help the task of transcription, but not used to insert in a public video as it wasn't proofread yet :thumbup:
nomada has attached the following file:
  • Matrix TVP.odt (37.13 kB - 92 times downloaded - latest: Dec 7th 2018, 2:35pm)
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 37 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Suze" is female

Date of registration: Mar 5th 2013

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Saturday, March 23rd 2013, 6:11pm

Matrix/Meadows

Thanks Nomada. Here I go ...

1 registered user and 44 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

• "Suze" is female

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Saturday, March 23rd 2013, 8:01pm

The Venus Project - The Matrix News Network (2010)

Just started transcribing this video on dotSUB :thumbup: . Thanks guys!

2 registered users and 43 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, nomada

• "Suze" is female

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, March 25th 2013, 8:02pm

The Matrix News Network (2010) is complete.

First draft transcription of The Venus Project - The Matrix News Network (2010) is complete. :)

3 registered users and 42 guests thanked already.

nomada, Di Anna, Borislav/lizardman

Public Relations Group

Monday, March 25th 2013, 8:48pm

Wonderful news Suze!! :dance:
How was it to transcribe on dotsub? Challenging?

I will pass this project from the English Transcription tab to the English Proofreading and Timestamp Adjustment tab, in this Working Locations table, where we can more easily follow who is doing what ;)
http://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/Linguis…a_Center/Videos

I will also move this forum thread to the English Proofreading section.

1 registered user and 41 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, March 26th 2013, 8:32am

First draft transcription of The Venus Project - The Matrix News Network (2010) is complete. :)
Hi again Suze! : )
I watched a bit of the video in the Working Location (WL) where you transcribed it to check how much in accordance with the transcription guidelines it became. More specifically to the guidelines that relate to the strings structure and later on with the timeshifting, that me or Dimi will do. Those are, from my experience, the most challenging ones to accomplish during the transcription, but they are also the reason we can take the triple of the time to timeshift a video sometimes, because we have to revise them while synchronizing the video with the sound and image. I'll go through those guidelines here so you can share any questions you might have about them before you start with the next video, ok?

So, I noticed you didn't worry much with synchronizing the strings with the sound, and that is great! Completely ignore that part. We can do it much easier and accurately during the timeshifting with the use of offline software like Visual Sub Sync. The 3 guidelines that will really help us during timeshifting if they are already accomplished (or as much as possible) during the transcription, are:
- Build the strings (split the text) according to the sentence grammar structure, so the reading has an easy flow. This makes a huge difference in the comfort of the reading and it is optimal when it is possible to cut the strings in between main clauses. It was pretty well, after what I saw in the transcription. The next 2 guidelines are the ones that need more attention.
- The strings that are very long will go over the 2 lines on screen to a 3rd line. We wish to avoid that as it distracts. Moreover, if the English is already in 2 full lines of text, some languages translations, who have their alphabets with lots of long words and round letters (like Bulgarian), will surely jump to the 3rd line. So we try not to go over the 70 character mark as much as possible (occupy more or less 75% of the space of 2 full lines of text), but still crossing it several times, to 80 and occasionally more, when the speakers are too fast and we don't wish to compromise the reading time or the 1st guideline above neither. To cut these long strings in half but then end up with 2 too fast to read strings or with a "terrible" cutting point between them, maybe it is better to leave them long. And that leads us to the 3rd guideline..
- All strings need to be bigger than 1,5 seconds reading time, 2 seconds when the text is longer than 42 characters (1 line of text). To have several strings that are short in reading time, even if they are between 1,5secs and 2 secs, will result in a tiresome reading because of the effort over our eyes looking for the subtitles.

The timeshifters will proofread these guidelines while synchronizing the strings with the sound and image. This will be done after the Proofreading Round 1 (P1). And if many strings are to be restructured by then, it can really increase a lot in the time we take to complete the synchronization. And that is why, after I saw that we might have just gained a very motivated transcriber in the team, which was really lacking around here :love: , that I thought it was a good moment to share some feedback on this topic. Let me know what you think, if you have questions or difficulties to share, if you will.

Superhugs!
:bighug:

3 registered users and 40 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Suze, Marina

• "Suze" is female

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, March 26th 2013, 3:35pm

Thanks very much for the input Nomada. Just one question: when you say "... didn't worry much with synchronizing the strings with the sound ...", what do you mean? I spent most of my time trying to match speech to text. Do you mean something else, or am I not doing it right? :huhwhat:

40 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: Oct 1st 2012

Tuesday, March 26th 2013, 5:03pm

I'll take care of proofreading round 1 :diablo:

44 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: Oct 1st 2012

Tuesday, March 26th 2013, 6:01pm

:luck: I just want to remark that I'm very pleased with this video so far. It shows much improvement in the way of transcription from the last video I proofread. I'm about 15 minutes in to the video and all that has needed correcting so far were a missing period and a comma where a period should have been. Very nice work. :tea: :fc-after-boom:

41 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion