• "Di Anna" is female
  • "Di Anna" started this thread

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Thursday, July 7th 2011, 7:34pm

Comma rule

Hey, Proofers and Proofettes, Just thought I might give a shout-out for the LT "comma rule," which Gman reminded me about in an earlier post this week. As Hubby Jack & I were engaging in our couples training session last night (ie, proofing lessons, of course ;)) , we noticed we had to delete a lot of those commas at the ends of strings. It is hard to remember to do this after at least 12 years of commas-drills in public school English classes, but since the team did decide to omit commas at the ends of strings, maybe we should all give an extra eye-balling to this. Huh? :huh: Hey...an idea? Maybe we could award the 100th member of the Forum the grand prize of proofing everything again to check for the "comma rule." :D ((hugs)) from Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

1 registered user and 58 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

benzaiten

• "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Thursday, July 7th 2011, 8:32pm

And also I think we have to identify the little mistakes we make individually, and communicate that to each other, without pointing fingers at each other or course. :thumbsup:

It'll only work for those of us who transcribe or timeshift on a regular basis of course, because we need to know them personally to address those issues with them, so that next time they pay really close attention to those details, which in turn accelerates the whole process.

But I'm confused as to what our tendency is at the moment : do we tend to put too many commas or too little ?

If you guys have some time, I'd like you to give me some feedback on the Jacque Fresco that I've transcribed about technology and unemployment.

1 registered user and 62 guests thanked already.

benzaiten

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Thursday, July 7th 2011, 10:57pm

Surely...when Jack & I were discussing it, we talked about how it's not about finger-pointing at all. We just need to work together for the best product. I have been guilty of leaving those commas at the ends of strings or putting them there ---because that would be correct if we were reading it in manuscript form, rather than subtitles. We'll look at the link you sent and get back to you with some specific examples (if there are any). ((hugs)) to you Bru! Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

1 registered user and 52 guests thanked already.

benzaiten

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Friday, July 8th 2011, 1:05am

Comma rule examples

Dear Bru,
I have two examples of the comma issue we were talking about. In the portion below, the comma after "vanilla" should be omitted ONLY because it is at the end of the string. According to Ray, the LT decided that since there is a natural pause at the end of a string, we should omit the comma at the end. If this were in a manuscript, of course, the comma would be kept there.

00:20.163
00:24.589They get about $25 a pound of vanilla,

00:24.931
00:27.496but it takes a lot of nurturing and work.

Below is another example. We should omit the commas after "speed" and after "complain" for the same reason.

01:13.197
01:16.412They move the machines at a certain speed,

01:16.825
01:20.625and they pick it up a little, to get the guys working faster.

01:21.076
01:24.573So the guys complain,

01:25.641
01:28.350and if they complain too much, they're canned.

Oh...and I think you do a WONDERFUL job timeshifting and with the English rules. Remember, it is REALLY up to the proofers to catch these bloops.
Hope this helps(???)!
Hugs,
Di

1 registered user and 52 guests thanked already.

benzaiten

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Friday, July 8th 2011, 1:09am

One more thing...

I tried to copy the table in the reply and it didn't do that (ugh, technology). I hope you can follow. We didn't make those comma changes on dotsub, so you can go back and see them. :S

49 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Friday, July 8th 2011, 5:32am

I tried to copy the table in the reply and it didn't do that (ugh, technology). I hope you can follow. We didn't make those comma changes on dotSUB, so you can go back and see them.

I noticed and repaired your post, Di. To stop that from happening, reply back to this. Before you click Send, click on the Settings tab below the edit area and uncheck "Enable HTML ...". Your posts will then show up the way they look in the Edit screen. :D
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

56 guests thanked already.
  • "brunodc" is male

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Friday, July 8th 2011, 8:17am

Oh yeah it's crystal clear now, thanks for taking the time to show us these examples, because I wasn't quite getting it up until now 8|

About timeshifting, I'm looking forward to accelerate the process of transcription (by that I mean from transcription to final review) by having a maximum of work done right from the start. I don't expect every transcriber to respect every guideline right from the start of course, that wouldn't be realistic, but if we can save some time, it's all for the better !!

I know this is the tea and cookies section, but I baked a fruit cake to mix it up a little :D

54 guests thanked already.
  • "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Friday, July 8th 2011, 8:18pm

You silly Bru! But I glad you understood it....THANKS BE TO RAY! I'll make sure I've got that html NOT working next time, Gman! I appreciate all the tek tips I can get. 8| ((hugs)) from me... Di

56 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion