Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 12:46pm

Adding two rules to the guidelines

I was thinking about adding the following 2 rules in our guidelines. What do you think?
  • When introducing a quotation with words like 'He said', 'She whispered', 'It stated', etc., you can precede the quotation with either a comma or a colon. As a guide, use commas for quotations that comprise fewer than 7 words and use colons for longer quotations.

• The following items are to be capitalized :
    • proper nouns (names of specific people, places, organizations, and sometimes things, family relationships (when used as proper names)
    • the names of God
    • specific deities
    • religious figures
    • and holy books (exception: non-specific use of the word “god”)
    • titles preceding names (but not titles that follow names, directions that are names but not that are compass directions)
    • the days of the week
    • months of the year
    • holidays (but not seasons used generally, only when used in a title)
    • the names of countries
    • nationalities and specific languages
    • the first word in a sentence that is a direct quote
    • major words in the titles of books etc.
    • members of national, political, racial, social, civic, and athletic groups
    • periods and events (but not century numbers)
    • trademarks

(See Source about capitalization)

42 guests thanked already.
  • "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 1:13am

My dear sweet Sir Bru, The new rules are exquisite, especially the colon vs. comma rule. I do see that soooo much! I would like to add that in the proofing job I'm doing at present--- Zeitgeist: Moving Forward NY Press Conference Jan 16, 2011 at the Tribeca Cinemas in New York with Peter Joseph, Jacque Fresco, Roxanne Meadows and the New York State chapter coordinators, Keith Embler and Jacqueline Carboni. (56:50)--- I am noticing a single space before colons, question marks, and semicolons. I have been removing this space because I know of no reason why there should be a space before these marks of punctuation. I cannot understand the interviewer either when she mentions a community outside of NY. It sounds like La Vina (?) but I've never heard of such a borough or place. ?( Do you know a La Vina?? Maybe she could help out on the Linguistic Team. 8| Wow...this is a really tough one, Bru! I've been working for days on it. Hopefully, I'll finish it tomorrow. Oh...and where DID they get this interviewer? La Vina needs some advice on how to conduct herself. She would rather talk about herself than the movie! Well, at least PJ, Jacque, and Roxanne pull it off well. I loved it when PJ said, "Oh, I don't mean to interrupt you..." That was beautiful, and he said that with a straight face??? Whew.... ((hugs)) from me ( humph....even I could do a better job interviewing!) Di :love:
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

64 guests thanked already.
  • "brunodc" is male
  • "brunodc" started this thread

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 9:04am

Yeah, I had the same feeling too when I was listening to her. I guess she's more of an ecologist groupie than a journalist...

About spaces before colons, my bad... In French we put spaces before colons and I forget to remove them most of the time. This interview was very difficult to timeshift so I guess I completely forgot about them :D

About La Vina... The only La Vina that I could find is in California !!! It's probably a little too far away from New York to be what she actually says :D

35 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion