Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Wednesday, August 31st 2011, 1:59pm

Subtitle Analysis tool

OK, so I had some time to go over the subtitle analysis tool after Dario signaled that it was still buggy, so I tried to correct those issues and added an option to clear commas at the end of strings automatically.

It's available right here.

In other words, if you're a timeshifter and you're reading those lines, I recommend for you to run this tool and allow it to complete gaps and remove commas at the end of strings, which will make your work slightly more comfortable.

The rest is up to you, boys and girls!

25 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Wednesday, August 31st 2011, 10:39pm

So nice Bruno ^^
This automation will be wonderfull!! No more eye detecting of comas to the English proofers 8|

hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

25 guests thanked already.
  • "gentlejewel" is female

Date of registration: Sep 11th 2011

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader

Friday, September 16th 2011, 10:37am

Hi Guys!

I was wondering.... Is it not possible to slow the doc down (just a tiny bit) when speakers such as Ben McLeish for example are giving their presentations? Ok - if you're an english listener you shouldn't have any problems but if you're reading a translation that's in Dutch for example (which often uses more words in my experience) - it seems as if you'll have to be some kind of speed-reader in order to read (and thus understand) everything :)...

So - if someone doesn't speak English anyway, why not slow the English speaking down a bit in order to accommodate other languages? There is software in order to do this of course but i wouldn't know what it's called. Anyway - just an idea. I believe also that if the English was slowed down a wee bit, the computer transcription software would also work much, much better. (I used voicebase.com on an American (relatively slow) speaking piece and it worked almost perfectly - maybe this is because of the American accent i don't know but James Phillips and Ben McLeish's work which are both relatively fast came out mostly as gibberish - sometimes very funny stuff what the computer was producing! But I noticed that when you used some kind of credit program system (eventually you have to buy more credits) the quality was at least twice as good. As soon as I have more experience with voicebase and it turns out to be a positive one, I'll share this info on the Linguistics's team facebook page.)

xx Julie
Signature from »gentlejewel« All for 1, and 1 for all...

27 guests thanked already.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Friday, September 16th 2011, 6:19pm

It is the second time, at least, that someone suggests to slow down a video. I wonder if Txetxo and anyone else of the tech team knows anything about this technical alternatives? I do wish the speakers to go slower a bit, but isnt that going to make the sound of the video too weird?
Maybe those transcriptions need to be slightly altered, as exception, or the translators reminded that they have to translate the meaning but not the content directly, and do some language gymnastics in order to fitt their text

What do you think, Julie, if in each transcription we apply this tool from Bruno to identify how many critical strings there is so that the timeshifters will go through them carefuly. After the timeshifters, the 2nd proofreader can also have an important saying about it and even suggest other ways of meaning for the same string, which would help the translators to do that language gymnastics ? We can use the notes pad for that.

Let us know if you have some more info on how to slow down videos. I have no clue myself.

hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

61 guests thanked already.
  • "txetxo" is male

Date of registration: Jun 19th 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Linguistic TechTeam Group
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 11:38pm

For simply slowing down a video playback here is a small peace of freeware, particularly made for translators: http://www.nch.com.au/scribe (make sure to set the option 'Delete the old "Done" files after number of days (0 is never)' to a reasonable number of days otherwise you are filling up your drive with the imported copies of the streams you have been using).

For advanced edition there are other tools out there yet to be discovered :) For instance here is a research on a high quality retiming of audio/video stream in this forum thread: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/956439.

The question here is - do we want to slow down the playback of the already translated and subtitled video in order to facilitate the reading of the subs in particular languages, or permanently "stretch" that video for all the languages and time-shifting it like that?
Signature from »txetxo« txetxo, Linguistic TechTeam (LTT) "You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete" Buckminster Fuller. http://forum.linguisticteam.org/

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "txetxo" (Sep 21st 2011, 7:22pm)

24 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion