[French Translation] A World Worth Imagining

• "Ray" is male
  • "Ray" started this thread

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Thursday, September 5th 2019, 9:46pm

A World Worth Imagining

This documentary gives a more personal insight into the origins and motivations of the man who could be described as the “Leonardo da Vinci of the 20th century”. In an intimate face-to-face, Jacque Fresco shares with S.O.U.L. founder Evan Gary Hirsch how he devoted his entire life to comprehensively designing a robust, workable tomorrow for our human family and planet. What could not have been known at the time was that this was to be Jacque’s final interview. In this half hour documentary, Jacque, who had just turned 101 years old(!), lets the audience see through his brilliant mind and into his compassionate heart, which was a fountain of overflowing love and respect for all living things and the precious Earth we call home.

After watching the full documentary, Jacque will leave you feeling as if you had just sat with your kind, loving grandfather who shared with you his life’s work. As he hands over the keys to solving society’s problems just before he passes, his hope is clearly that you will see his plans through to fruition for the benefit of all. As this passionate man obviously devoted his life to designing something much more nurturing, harmonious, and sustainable for humanity, it seems the least we can do for him, his legacy, and our future, is to see his designs move from conceptualization to realization. ( 31:45 )

Note: This documentary is not yet publicly released, so all translation efforts must be handled 'behind the scenes' and protected by non-disclosure agreements until the creator, S.O.U.L. Documentary, chooses to open the video to the full public. The initial release is expected sometime in November, 2019.

Anyone seeking to help translate or proofread a translation for their language should simply make me (Ray) aware of your intentions so I can guide you into the project.

Working Location (closed to the public until full release)
S.O.U.L. Source (TBA) | Repository Location (TBA) | LTI YouTube (TBA)
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Ray" (Oct 21st 2019, 8:19pm)

1 guest thanked already.
  • "TshaTsha" is female

Date of registration: Oct 15th 2019

Language Team: Français / French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, October 15th 2019, 9:23am

French translation of The World Worth Imagining

Hi Ray,
Here we go! I'm ready to translate this documentary in french. Just taking my marks with the dotSUB tool and your guidelines in the next days.

1 registered user and 1 guest thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Tuesday, October 15th 2019, 12:20pm

Wonderful!
Let me know if you come across anything to question. I am at your service, @Natasha:

2 guests thanked already.
  • "TshaTsha" is female

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, October 16th 2019, 9:43pm

I have a doubt with the meaning I should put in the title. A world worth Imagining ... I need to catch the subtility

What is the best fit of the deep meaning ?
- a world which deserve to be imagined (thing to do, projection, futur)
- a world which deserve imagination / creativity (people imagination, to figure and shape)
- a world which deserved that imagination (jacque Fresco's Imagination)
- a world which deserve to be in your mind / you should see (design in your mind, perceive)

1 registered user and 2 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Thursday, October 17th 2019, 6:37am

It is closest to your first suggestion - as it is very much worth spending some of your time and energy imagining this "resource-based" world that we are striving to bring about for everyone.
We don't want them to design it in their mind, but rather to learn enough about this direction to be able to more fully understand how it all works together to solve most, if not all, of our greatest challenges today, and beyond.

Do the above descriptions provide you with what you are seeking here?

2 guests thanked already.
  • "TshaTsha" is female

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Thursday, October 17th 2019, 11:18am

ok, so in french, the best word to fit with "worth" is "digne".

We have 3 way to say worth :
- "qui vaut" or "valant"= litteraly, also used for money so I don't like it so much
- "qui mérite" or "méritant de"= also merit, not the best because psychologically it's often connotate in french with pejorative expression, even if initialy it's something great
- "digne de" seems the best = worthy, there is something noble into it, and it's shorter

Un Monde Digne d'Imagination... the last word is more tricky as Imagination in french is not enough real, sounds too much like utopia and dreamers, and "digne d'imagination" sounds a bit twisted, not usual. We would say "Un Monde Digne d'être Imaginé".

Here are some ideas with their connotation in french by preference order :

- Un Monde Digne d'Aspirations = hope, thirst, momentum, desire, ambition, a world you can be inspired and want, includes inspiration, projection and act, talk about people themselves (>affect) as well as the project itself (>global)
- Un Monde Digne de Conception = as well create this world and imagine it. Conception includes thinking, imagination, technical elaboration and implementation (>global)
- Un Monde Digne d'Invention = creativity, invention, said like that, to put in motion, more a fact, an act of inventing this world with a double meaning with the term inventions (tech) (>global)
- Un Monde Digne de Créativité = creativity, invention, ideas, but we use a lot this word for many things now, not enought strong I think, sounds a bit tree-huggers (>global)

We have so many words shifting the sens in french.. ahaha.. we have to be awfully nit-pickers !
In english it's more global and intense at the same time, you can say many things with one word.

The good balance in this title should be to mean something in people's affect (attract) + global concept (keep it wide and like The Plan)

I may have other ideas later. Still thinking.

1 registered user and 2 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "TshaTsha" is female

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, October 30th 2019, 12:50pm

Hi Ray,
The french translation is fully done by my side.

1 registered user thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Thursday, October 31st 2019, 2:52am

Wonderful news, @TshaTsha:!
So what did you settle on for the questions that you posed earlier in the thread?
Your answers here may help anyone looking to proofread the translation before it is published to the world. ;)

• "TshaTsha" is female

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Sunday, November 3rd 2019, 6:37pm

I talked a bit with Evan

Correct french would be : Un monde qui vaut la peine d’être envisagé
or Un monde qui vaut d’être envisagé, but this last one sounds weird

Envisager is like : an option to maybe think about, like you could consider (not you should)
Isn’t it a bit shy ?

What about..

the litteral translation of your title is more > Un Monde Méritant d’être Imaginé

Un Monde Stimulant l’Inspiration > stimulating, urging inspiration
Un Monde Poussant l’Imagination > pushing, growing imagination
Un Monde en Quête de Réinvention > a world in quest for reinvention, transformation
Un Monde à S’imaginer > a world to think about, to create

and he is up to "Un Monde å S’imaginer"

I guess because it's short but it sound a bit weird.

To be the closest to the meaning I would go personaly with "Imaginer un Monde à la Hauteur" = Imagining a World at the Level, hight as it should, up to the challenge

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Tuesday, November 5th 2019, 10:09pm

When trying to work out a "best translation" for something like this, it is always important to consider the frame of mind of our primary audience.
When combined (someone watching many of them), most public RBE materials are intended to help people learn about, and eventually understand, the overall RBE concept. For this reason, it is often a good approach to be a little on the 'shy' side, so that they are not initially overwhelmed.

In this case, the title is intentionally suggestive instead of demanding, so Evan's suggestion may be a good interpretation of the intent behind the English. Keep in mind that I do not know French, so I have no way of knowing if there are any additional inferences or implications that may exist within his suggestion. I am only commenting on your question of whether the suggestion may be too weak. ;)

• "TshaTsha" is female

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, November 6th 2019, 9:53am

Evan said he was ok with "Imaginer un Monde à la Hauteur" and will ask Roxanne for advice.

Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion