You are not logged in.

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Friday, January 25th 2013, 2:19pm

The Zeitgeist Movement Defined: Realizing a New Train of Thought

The essay-style collection known as TZM Defined, describing the tenets and understandings of The Zeitgeist Movement. ( 140511 words )

For Translators: Go to the Working Location link below, sign into your Pootle account and click translate.
If you're new to all of this, check out the Pootle Tutorial for a short summary on how to translate with Pootle.
Just before you start, and then later when you are done, post your intentions or results to this forum thread so others can see the progress.
Ask for help in this thread too, in case you need some guidance.

Before starting on any project, connect directly with your respective language team to join these projects from the inside.
Once complete, each Language Team needs to create a "ToDo" (assigned to Ray) so that the project can be converted back into PDF format, added to our ever-growing Global Distribution System, and promoted all over the place!

When working on any translation project, there are two other important resources to be aware of within the forum:
1) The Error Reporting section is where translators and proofreaders should report any typos you find.
2) The Translation Questions section allow translators and proofreaders to share any questions you might have about the meaning or context of something you are translating. Older RBE veterans may also want to add these forum sections to their favourites (bottom right of the page), so we can assist them whenever something comes up.
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

This post has been edited 9 times, last edit by "Ray" (Feb 3rd 2019, 2:36am) with the following reason: Title edit

4 registered users and 75 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Di Anna, jonny, georgyvlad, Ray

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, February 19th 2014, 8:33pm

Hi! : )

Can this project be renamed in Pootle? am discovering that several volunteers are not being able to find it because they identify it as "TZM Defined" or other forms. They refer to it as "the book" and so maybe the best would be to give it the name of the book itself. This Activist Guide 2012 name was the one when the document was starting to be created.

Now is called "The Zeitgeist Movement Defined: Realizing a New Train of Thought"

I hope it can be changed in Pootle. I have no idea.

Activist Orientation Guide 2012 | Projects | Linguistic Team International Pootle Project
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 71 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Thursday, February 20th 2014, 12:11pm

Renamed.

2 registered users and 60 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

Public Relations Group

Friday, February 21st 2014, 4:47am

:loveya: cool! that will make it much easier to identify in Pootle. Many are arriving to translate this great book ^^

I wonder if there is any project for the edition of the language versions? Or each person / language focus, publishes it as convenient? The Arabic and Portuguese versions will be put here in this website/blog after each chapter is translated and proofread:
The Zeitgeist Movement Defined: Releasing a New Train of Thought - Resource Based Economy at rbearabic.net

1 registered user and 65 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Friday, February 21st 2014, 1:41pm

Hey Rod. I'm not sure what you mean by "project for the edition of the language versions". As far as I know, the Greek TZM Chapter is publishing every translated part in its main website, where they have a specific place for TZM Defined. It's here Item Category ΠΡΟΣΑΝΑΤΟΛΙΣΜΟΣ Archive - The Zeitgeist Movement. Is that what you mean?
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

2 registered users and 65 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

Public Relations Group

Friday, February 21st 2014, 8:52pm

yes.that is what I mean. Glad to know about your initiative : )

hugs

1 registered user and 65 guests thanked already.

Ray

Public Relations Group

Saturday, February 22nd 2014, 9:34am

@gnu: @Ray: @lizardman:

Hi fellows! gnu was asking for help on how to start translating this project in Pootle. There is some back-end work in Pootle updating this project, gnu. The project exists in Pootle since the book was still in the beginning and as the different chapters were added in TZMs site, there were changes being applied in what was already done and, of course, the need to update the project in Pootle with the new chapters too. Surely Ray or Lizardman will give you news in this thread soon. Bare with them as they have many things in hand and not many hands to do them.

I am sure they would appreciate anyone's interest in learning and helping with these admin tasks since what they do is voluntary but going way over the regular work schedule :tongue: I wonder how they manage everyday.

As we are here, this project is on the 1st Revision already in what concerns the Portuguese-Portugal tanslation efforts. But they decided to do it in Google Translator Toolkit, as it is a tool that works for English-Portuguese quite well and the translation stage consists on a revision of what the machine translation advanced to us. Now we have to apply the changes in the English version (improved along all this time until the book was finished) before the second revision. I wish the portuguese project would being done in Pootle. The use of different platforms increases the extra work a lot in these situations. If ay language team is translating in a different place than Pootle, you will probably also have to update your reference texts (the English reference for the translation). :help:

hugs

1 registered user and 61 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Saturday, February 22nd 2014, 11:07am

Gnu asked about it in the shoutbox, so that is where I replied to him. Below is what I wrote there and there will be a loud announcement as soon as the work is completed.

"TZM Defined" contains a significant number of changes from the original essay releases collectively known as "Orientation Guide 2012" within Pootle. The new version is currently being prepped for Pootle, with an additional focus on working out the best way to update the existing project without destroying any of the translation work that has already been put into it.
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

1 registered user and 66 guests thanked already.

nomada

• "lizardman" is male

LTI Administration Group

Saturday, February 22nd 2014, 11:27am

Here is the situation:

The chapters were added to Pootle as they came out one by one. Back then, all the footnotes for a given chapter were at the end of the chapter. Now came out the new version that has gone through proofreading. There is something very different in the new version, structurally speaking - all of the footnotes are at the end of all chapters (see here). This is a big, nasty problem - not sure how to solve it yet. One possibility is to entirely recreate the project in Pootle.

Another factor is the proofreading - how much has actually changed? It wasn't easy to create, but here is a partial diff of the first two chapters - Diff Checker - Online diff tool that compares text to find the difference between two text files . As you can see, there are a lot of stuff changed here and there, mostly stylistically. This means that updating the current project in Pootle by making those word changed one by one is not really a viable solution.

Additionally, the text in the website ( TZM - Orientation ) does not have italics. They probably got lost somewhere in the conversion. But in the PDF there is quite a lot of use of italics. We noticed this previously and manually added all italics into the project before bringing it into Pootle (with a great deal of help from Jorge with this part). If we choose to recreate the project in Pootle, those italics would need to be manually added again, together with the italics for all the rest of the chapters.

And finally, I could see that there are still typos in the new version. Probably this is not that much of an issue, unless there are quite a lot of them, which would imply bigger updating of the project in Pootle, as they are being fixed through time. Unfortunately, when updates are done, sometimes Pootle loses the translation of the changed paragraph/string, and it has to be manually readded later.

That's about it as far as facts go. Hope it is understandable - if not, let me know and I'll try to clarify.

I don't know if all of this seems overwhelming to someone reading it. For the Pootle administrator it is pretty much normal stuff, hidden behind the neat-looking projects in Pootle. Besides being a lot of work, it is also fun to solve these kinds of problems. Only if one had more time...

Solving the above problems implies, at least in part, technical skills, and in part it implies community input on how to approach this and what kind of manual work is acceptable. Maybe there are solutions out there that could save a lot of manual work, but we (the Pootle admins - Ray and myself) are unaware of them. We got all the things we know the hard way - by reading and experimenting. And we started acquiring technical skills in order to be more helpful. We didn't have them prior to being Pootle admins. So if someone out there wishes to get in touch with us and help with these aspects, you certainly can - no matter if you do or don't have technical skills. All it takes is desire to learn.

5 registered users and 77 guests thanked already.

Ray, nomada, georgyvlad, Pipa, yv6eda

• "Ray" is male

Saturday, February 22nd 2014, 7:27pm

Beautiful description, Bo! :bow:

Given all that is involved with even attempting to update a project with this percentage of changes, plus the need to get this beastie opened up for everyone to play with, I lean heavily toward the idea of creating it in Pootle as a new project, allowing any language that already has some of it translated to compare strings and make adjustments as they pull their work out of the old one for pasting into the new project, while also allowing those languages that haven't started the old one to jump right in sooner than later. PJ's promotion of this as the highest priority item within all of TZM's materials makes it important that this new version be available for translation as soon as possible, without anyone burning themselves out to make that happen.

3 registered users and 73 guests thanked already.

nomada, georgyvlad, Pipa

• "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Sunday, February 23rd 2014, 10:03am

2 things I did not understand:

Why is it a problem that the footnotes are at the end of all chapters?
Are the changes you discovered through proofreading significant or just stylistic (eg. a change in the order of some words)? If they do not change the meaning (eg. add info on something), is that really a problem?
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

1 registered user and 64 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

LTI Administration Group

Sunday, February 23rd 2014, 11:17am

Christos, you can see the changes yourself from the link I posted above. Here it is again: Diff Checker - Online diff tool that compares text to find the difference between two text files

Of course, it is only a very small part of the full text. We don't know how much the meaning has changed throughout the other chapters. But it seems that even stylistic changes can often be important.

About the footnotes: it isn't a problem if we entirely recreate the project. But it's a problem if we want to update it, because right now the footnotes are after each chapter. They can't be just moved after all chapters. It's a significant structural difference.

I was thinking, Ray, if PJ might be able to provide us with an HTML of the same structure as before - footnotes after each chapter. This would significantly help us on many fronts - comparing both versions, testing how well an update of the project will work, etc. If he was able to extract an HTML with footnotes after each chapter before, why wouldn't he be able to do it now? It's an automatic process anyways, so probably no work is involved. Can you ask him about this?

2 registered users and 63 guests thanked already.

Christos Pap., Ray

• "Ray" is male

Wednesday, February 26th 2014, 1:29am

I did mention earlier, but without much detail because I didn't want to pollute the main topic at the time, that my attempts at breaking up the project into separate chapters (or even essays) also separated the references (they show up only where they are being called).
So, that takes dealing with this particular 'structural' issue out of the equation. Just let me know where you want the separations to be made.

1 registered user and 60 guests thanked already.

nomada

• "lizardman" is male

LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, February 26th 2014, 7:33pm

I want all the references of a given chapter to show right after the end of that chapter. Just like they are in Pootle right now: Translate | TZM Defined | Afrikaans | Linguistic Team International Pootle Project

If you can do it for one chapter for testing purposes, that would be cool. I'll play with it and see what happens.

2 registered users and 62 guests thanked already.

Ray, nomada

• "Ray" is male

Thursday, February 27th 2014, 3:55am

The trick for this is to Copy each individual section out of the original ODT and directly into its own ODT file, followed by a "Save As" of that ODT file into HTML. OpenOffice automatically generates the references within the file to which they belong.

As an added bonus, all italics are also preserved, so it negates the need to manually add them into the html later.
Unfortunately, it also brings along some unnecessary html tags, but I've worked out a relatively simple approach to replace the majority of them with a very simple <style> section in the header that Pootle should completely ignore during ingestion of the html files. The test you're aiming to run will tell us if reality comes close to my expectations. :whistle:

Hit me up when you're ready and I'll pass you the resulting master "Preface" HTML file through Skype so you can play with it in Pootle.

1 registered user and 63 guests thanked already.

nomada

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion