You are not logged in.

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Monday, March 3rd 2014, 10:07pm

Given the need to create TZM Defined as a new, separate project in order to avoid major loss of existing translations, I have re-renamed the project back to Orientation Guide 2012, but also added (soon to be replaced by TZM Defined) to that title.
I also added updated information to the project description, pointing people to this thread for additional information about what's going on with the project overall.

Orientation Guide 2012 [soon to be replaced with TZM Defined] | Projects | Linguistic Team International Pootle Project
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

72 guests thanked already.
  • "Christos Pap." is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Monday, March 3rd 2014, 11:12pm

I haven't understood. Are you creating another project? Which of the 2 is going to be the official TZM Defined? And what will happen to existing translations?
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

59 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Tuesday, March 4th 2014, 8:52am

The project that is currently in Pootle does not accurately reflect the contents of the newer, full release of TZM Defined, which has undergone a good amount of changes since its initial 'partial' release. The initial releases were also promoted by TZM as "TZM Orientation", a different title. As a result, as soon as it's fully prepped, the full TZM Defined contents will be brought into Pootle as a separate project in order to fully preserve the existing, older "TZM Orientation" project translations, which then allows any teams that have existing translations to more easily pull them out of the old project and bring them into the new one (adjusting for changed content at the same time). As teams inform us that they have completed their transfer of translations, we'll remove each language from the old project until the older project completely disappears out of Pootle. Does that help clarify the approach?

1 registered user and 52 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Pipa

Language Coordinator

Tuesday, March 4th 2014, 9:04pm

This has to be one of the few times that I feel my question has been answered completely. Cheers!
Signature from »Christos Pap.« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

1 registered user and 62 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Friday, March 7th 2014, 6:52pm

OK, so here is what I propose after some testing:
1) We create TZM Defined as a new project in Pootle.
2) The chapters will be added one by one as we work a bit on cleaning up the code structure.
3) The few languages that have some significant amount of translations for this project can move them to the newly created project. Alternatively, their translation can be extracted from Pootle and formed into a PDF and/or a webpage, which would save them the manual task of copying things over.
4) Those few languages can make any needed changes to their translations in the newly created project or outside of Pootle. It's the same.
5) The newly created project would preserve the layout very well. Italics, thankfully, is taken care of. The only drawback is that when the project is extracted from Pootle and taken into Open Office, the footnotes are not placed properly. This requires a very simple and quick manual work to fix though, and overall everything else looks very well.

In this way, we will have our footnotes clickable and neatly looking on every page (in a PDF) or after each chapter (in a webpage), the whole layout is very well preserved, and the italics are preserved.

What do you think?

1 registered user and 57 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Friday, March 7th 2014, 9:25pm

I don't see many more people around with the technical knowledge to help reach a better decision than you.

The Portuguese_Portugal version was translated in a different oder version, in Google Translation Toolkit.I am revising it little by little and it could be a possibility to do it while passing the translations to Pootle, since they will need to be corrected with the new version of Defining TZM, anyway. I imagine it has to be done manually, so I'll copy-paste each sentence as I progress in the revision.

I am glad you could be there to fix this project in Pootle Here's an extensionality smilley for you, Borislav :love:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 62 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "gnu" is male

Date of registration: Feb 20th 2014

Language Team: Swedish

Focus Group: Translator

Saturday, March 8th 2014, 7:01am

progress

Thanks for help to get me started. Progress is flowing and when i got time i do what i can. almost completed preface and overview from english into swedish. i stumbled upon a question.

is it anyway i can the text i translated as a single free flowing text? since it seems i am alone at the moment i need to proofread it aswell, which i dont mind but since pootle allows translation chapter by chapter the flow of the text will suffer (at least in swedish). anyone knows how to solve this?

thanks for any hints.

2 registered users and 58 guests thanked already.

nomada, ThorHusby

Language Coordinator

Saturday, March 8th 2014, 10:00am

I don't see many more people around with the technical knowledge to help reach a better decision than you.
I' m with Rod on this one. Only you and Ray know the "dungeons" of pootle, Boris.

One question about the 3rd point though: How can we move the translations from the older project to the new one? Do we copy-paste it string by string? How about G-string by G-string? :) Ok that was a cheap joke. But on a serious note, is there any way to copy-paste it more massively?

1 registered user and 60 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Saturday, March 8th 2014, 10:41am

Given the amount of changes between the old and new versions, this Copy/Paste task also includes careful comparing of the English to alert you whenever adjustments are needed to the existing translation for each string. In some cases, it may only be a single word or three that has been changed and a more 'massive' method would almost certainly lead to missing some of those.

My suggestion would be to put out a call to form a group of people sharing in the effort, explaining to them what is needed and allowing them to help work out the most efficient way to approach it. Such an attractive 'challenge' may also help increase the number of overall active members for your team at the same time.

1 registered user and 56 guests thanked already.

nomada

Language Coordinator

Saturday, March 8th 2014, 12:41pm

Given that the text the Greek team has translated is not proofread, I don't see a reason why we should watch out for the changes in the English text during the copy-paste. The Greek translation is going to need 2 proofreading rounds anyway, which are going to check if the Greek text is in accordance with the English text.

About your second point Ray, I thought of it too because I can't do it on my own. I already have 2 guys in mind, and this challenge could give them a boost in activity and involvement with the team. Let's see how it turns out :)

59 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Saturday, March 8th 2014, 11:50pm

Given the amount that the Greek Team has translated, you have a point. However, other teams with much less already done should find it easier to handle the differences as they bring over the existing translations.

55 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Wednesday, March 12th 2014, 5:43am

@Christos Pap.:, after further consideration, you may have to handle it as a Copy/Paste project, since the translations will not line up with the new TZMD due to structural differences in the text (i.e. the different number of strings in the new version will not allow your translation to line up directly with what was originally translated, which will make it much harder for the translators/proofreaders to clean up if we just drop the existing Greek translation of the old into the new).

51 guests thanked already.

Language Coordinator

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 8:06am

Ok, if the number of the strings has changed then your proposal seems reasonable. One of our relatively new guys volunteered to help me with the copy/paste, so I'm really looking forward to giving him the tools to be more involved. He has already helped a lot with the projects transfer from our older files into our forum, and he is proofreader-level with a fine understanding of the RBE, and I'm really looking forward to seeing if this will increase his taking initiatives. I want to get to the point where every member knows the basic tools and functions so they don't need "permission" from me for the everyday tasks. This is a good chance to make that happen.

1 registered user and 63 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Thursday, March 13th 2014, 10:21pm

As soon as it is ready I'll start pasting the Portuguese translation to Pootle also. Just let us know, Ray and Lizardman ; )
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 58 guests thanked already.

Ray

Language Coordinator

Saturday, March 15th 2014, 8:07pm

The Greek team is ready too. There is a guy who volunteered to help me with it.

56 guests thanked already.
© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion