You are not logged in.

[ Adjusted Since Initial Release ] TBTMCB (8th Edition now) "perpetual" Translate-a-Thon

• "Ray" is male
  • "Ray" started this thread

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 12:48am

TBTMCB (8th Edition now) "perpetual" Translate-a-Thon

Hi everyone!
We are extremely happy to present the start of the "The Best That Money Can't Buy" (TBTMCB) Translate-a-thon!
And note that we're now up to the 8th Edition
:dance: :thumbsup: :party:

Volunteers from the English Department have completed their full proofreading (2 rounds, plus Di Anna's final review), so we're ready to rock on the translations. The project will be handled in GoogleDocs using multiple spreadsheets, very similar to how we handled "Zeitgeist: Moving forward" and "Paradise or Oblivion". Please note that this project includes a non-disclosure agreement and all completed translations will be handed over to TVP for inclusion in the TVP Store. These store offerings will then help to financially support the research center in Florida as well as the development of new public materials.

To join in on the phun, simply fill in and submit the NDA form, and then follow the instructions for confirming your desire to participate (which protects you from someone else submitting your name to the project ;) ). If you have any questions, please post them directly to this announcement thread or hit me up in Skype. :loveya:

Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

This post has been edited 7 times, last edit by "Ray" (Jul 25th 2017, 3:54pm)

25 registered users and 110 guests thanked already.
  • "Ana" is female

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Serbian Team

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 12:56am

Is there any deadline for this project?

3 registered users and 103 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, benzaiten, Ray

• "Ray" is male

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 1:17am

No deadline on this one, but we're still approaching it similar to previous major translate-a-thons that included deadlines. So, I would imagine that most teams will want to take advantage of having the help of the extra volunteers who show up now. Perhaps some of them will choose to stick around and help with other projects after this one is completed. ^^

Also, as teams form now, they are going to require someone coordinating the sharing of spreadsheets with the translators & proofreaders. It's best if the language coordinators (or perhaps a veteran team member) handle this part.

6 registered users and 98 guests thanked already.

nomada, benzaiten, peppe, Ana, dobedobedooo, Guspt

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 5:28am

I signed the NDA when it was for helping coordinate the English team proofreading. Do I have to sign another one for Portuguese translations?
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

2 registered users and 91 guests thanked already.

Ray, Aldi96

• "Ray" is male

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 11:04pm

No sir. This NDA applies to any/all aspects of this specific project.

3 registered users and 97 guests thanked already.

nomada, Yayita, Ana

• "kbrekken" is male

Date of registration: May 1st 2013

Language Team: Norwegian

Focus Group: Translator
Language Coordinator

Friday, May 17th 2013, 12:02pm

Hi there!

I have a few questions.
Let's say, for example, that I am the only one in my language team volunteering for this project, and I am not the coordinator for my language.
How do I get going on the translation? Will I be given access to the google docs, and then eventually become the coordinator of this project if someone else comes along, or until the Norwegian coordinator signs up?

I realize I can't possibly expect to complete this project alone, as any ignorance I possibly possess about the translation of a word or phrase would remain faulty no matter how many times I proofread,
but I could make a pretty good start of it until someone else comes along to help out.

Hope you can answer this for me ;)

-Knut

6 registered users and 93 guests thanked already.

Marina, JPH, nomada, Ray, benzaiten, Ana

• "Ray" is male

Saturday, May 18th 2013, 10:39am

Hey Knut,

GREAT question!
I, perhaps with help, will play the role of project coordinator for any language teams that form without an official language coordinator. In most cases, I suspect that will be mostly languages that are still not yet represented within LTI, but it will also apply to existing teams where their coordinator is unable to participate for some reason. I certainly do not possess the multi-lingual skills necessary to help with proofreading, so the hope is that no project team ends up with only one translator. Any that do end up in such a situation will be strongly encouraged to seek out more people from their social circles to help them. This project is certainly not limited to just LTI volunteers.

5 registered users and 106 guests thanked already.

kbrekken, nomada, Marina, benzaiten, Ana

• "Ray" is male

Sunday, May 19th 2013, 8:20pm

As of this writing, the teams are still being formed. Once the NDA requests settle down, we will be able to get the party started.
If you want to help but haven't yet sent in the NDA request, the instructions are in the top post. :loveya:

4 registered users and 89 guests thanked already.

nomada, benzaiten, Ana, Calvetmaria

• "MarlysePi" is female

Date of registration: Oct 26th 2011

Language Team: English, French

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, May 28th 2013, 12:10pm

Hi Ray ! What is happening with this ? Why is it taking so long to start ? I tried logging on to the Venus Project site, and I receive a message saying I should log in, but on top I can see that I am logged in already. What should I do ? I tried creating another user, but it says my email address is already being used. Help !

1 registered user and 109 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Tuesday, May 28th 2013, 12:56pm

Hi Marlyse,
Some of the teams are coming together slower than anticipated, so we're still focusing on promoting the project to help build them up more before starting it. I am now anticipating the start to be in about 2-3 weeks, hopefully closer to 2, but nothing is set in stone.

The TVP website is not involved in any part of the project flow. The entire project will be handled within Google Docs (spreadsheets, to be more exact), the same way previous translate-a-thons were handled.

To focus on the log in issue you are reporting here, TVP is aware that there are issues with the main site's log in function. The current site is going to be replaced very soon, so they have decided to focus on getting that ready, rather than try to figure out and fix the log in issue on the current site.

2 registered users and 100 guests thanked already.

Ana, benzaiten

• "Ray" is male

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 8:07am

In prep for the eventual start of the project, I've created and shared the two most important 'collaborative' info sheets we use for these translate-a-thons.
The second one will become extremely important to everyone's accuracy once the project begins, while the first one is very important right now.

This first public sheet shows how the teams are slowly shaping up. Only languages that have at least one volunteer are shown here. If your language is not represented, it means that no one has volunteered to help translate/proofread into that language yet.
TBTMCB Team Formation Progress

Proofreading:
The entire book was proofread for English multiple times before it reached us. We then followed all of that with our own careful proofreading of it and found a significant amount of corrections that still needed to be made. Of course, this is not unusual, since there is no such thing as a perfect transcript. If you helped with either of our previous translate-a-thons (Zeitgeist: Moving Forward or Paradise or Oblivion), you may be aware that all of the teams collaborated on developing a shared 'Prooofreading/Glossary' sheet to minimize proofreading and understanding issues for everyone across all language teams. Although this project has received much more proofreading than the previous projects, it is still important for us to work together to ensure that we catch any remaining issues and provide all teams with detailed information about any terms or phrases that may be difficult to understand or translate in their current form. In other words, if anyone comes across something that they feel requires proofreading care (fixing), or if you find a term or phrase that is not understandable enough to translate without help, please add that sample to the following spreadsheet so it can be corrected or more fully explained for everyone. As we progress, you are likely to find that some of your questions have already answered in the sheet (just one example of the power of collaboration), so please refer to it often throughout the project to make sure your teams are fully informed of such issues & corrections. If you find a reference to a sheet/string that your team has already completed, please also go back and double-check that it has been handled correctly in your language.

TBTMCB Proofreading/Glossary sheet

It is very important to the capabilities of the teams that news of this project reach all corners of the overall RBE Community. If you frequent RBE Community locations that are not aware of the project, please, please, please help to spread awareness. After all, that's what we are here for. :bow:

4 registered users and 110 guests thanked already.

Ana, MajaPOCCroatia, benzaiten, esdrasantana

• "Jagi" is male

Date of registration: Mar 20th 2012

Language Team: Polish

Focus Group: Translator

Tuesday, June 18th 2013, 1:09pm

I have one question. Is this book going to be available for $ in the store or people will be able to choose if they want to download payed or free version? I'm curious because sentence "These store offerings will then help to financially support the research center in Florida as well as the development of new public materials." for me means financing someone's life. I know that Jacque and Roxanne maybe are doing many lectures but I think that PJ is doing much more to increase people awareness (i.e. Zeitgeist Media Festival) and he offers a choose, you can download something for free or just buy it if you want to support his work. Lately I see J&R's work like talking a lot and doing a little. What did happen with the money they got for making full feature film? If they advocate world without the money lets give people example. I would appreciate if you could pass this message to J&R if you don't know the answer. All the work that LTI is doing is voluntary and please respect these people work.

This complaint is directed towards TVP not you Ray :). You're doing great work :).

1 registered user and 99 guests thanked already.

Ray

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Tuesday, June 18th 2013, 3:25pm

Hi Lukaz! Nice to see you around! : )

That was not a question, it seems that it was just you saying that you feel either sad or raged when you got to know that TVP will sell the book TBTMCB that will be translated by volunteers. I see how you feel, that with the effort of applying your little free time to help make these contents available in your language, you would at least like it to be made available for free, just like your efforts. Quite clear to me, what you meant. The arguments you used are just not in line with reality or are evaluations. It feels just sad that we all need to pay bills and sell our health, motivation, time and whatever else to do it. I do it and most likely you do it too. I am glad PJ can find a balance that allows him to do so many stuff; I hope he continues improving on that. Online platforms, instead of physical ones, help, I guess.

About the TBTMCB translations, if you are not motivated to help coordinate the Polish efforts, I don't mind to help the Polish volunteers. Ray will also help with the teams that don't have volunteers to coordinate the newcomers. One more team won't make a big difference ;)

Take care there.
hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

3 registered users and 114 guests thanked already.

Christos Pap., Ana, Ray

• "Jimmy Page Jr (Chris Pap)" is male

Date of registration: Nov 21st 2012

Language Team: Greek

Focus Group: Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Tuesday, June 18th 2013, 8:32pm

Dear Jagi,

I hope I don't sound like TVP's "guardian" or something, but as far as I know they have to pay in order to live where they live, so that they can demonstrate to the people how the future looks like. They quit their jobs long time ago and they don't have money. They never had much. Jacque never had money for his patents, that's why he keeps the blueprints. These guys don't have a salary, neither do they have money in the back. As Roxanne has said "It's not like the state contacts us and they say 'you are doing a great job, let us help'". They don't have anyone. They want the world to live in a non-money system, but until then we have to survive someway. It's the same reason some of us have jobs. Would we rather have our chores done by robots? Sure, but until we get there we must survive somehow. Now, if you are able to survive without job, that's very good for your health and your activism. But if you don't have a job and you don't have anyone to support you financially, like friends or family, it is pretty hard to survive, much more create and demonstrate a new society. Let's not forget that TVP uses resources for their work and they cost. They do, however, distribute much material for free. You can find countless lectures, interviews and seminars with Jacque and Roxanne online. If you don't feel like doing it, it is understandable, but I think in these cases we should all ponder upon why we volunteer. Do we do it because of the way it happens or for the transcendent purpose? Again, I hope I don't sound like guardian of the "TVP quo" :)

Truly yours,
JPJ
Signature from »Jimmy Page Jr (Chris Pap)« To come to the meetings, install teamspeak from HERE and then press HERE to be transferred directly, and look for the "Linguistic Team" Channel.

3 registered users and 117 guests thanked already.

Ray, Nacer, Iris2015

• "Ray" is male

Wednesday, June 19th 2013, 3:23am

I appreciate both Jagi's concerns as well as the replies that have come in related to them. Thank you all for bringing this topic to the forefront here in the forum (it was addressed in Facebook a few weeks ago).
In the replies I am about to attempt to provide below, I intend to focus only on the facts, rather than any personal idealism or preferences that I might have for anything surrounding this or any other project we tackle. However, I will also provide our specific reasoning for tackling this one.

I have one question. Is this book going to be available for $ in the store or people will be able to choose if they want to download payed or free version? I'm curious because sentence "These store offerings will then help to financially support the research center in Florida as well as the development of new public materials." for me means financing someone's life.

All of our completed translation efforts will be sent to TVP so they can offer them, for money, in the TVP store and likely beyond (Amazon, etc.). As far as I know, there are no plans to also make them available for free download anywhere and we are dedicated to respecting that, as I will explain later in this reply.

I know that Jacque and Roxanne maybe are doing many lectures but I think that PJ is doing much more to increase people awareness (i.e. Zeitgeist Media Festival) and he offers a choose, you can download something for free or just buy it if you want to support his work. Lately I see J&R's work like talking a lot and doing a little.

There are many factors that affect what TVP is able to do and how they decide on best courses of action to satisfy what they feel is most important at any given time. The most pressing, of course, is how much money they have available to them. Without money, very little can be done that the public will see as 'getting stuff done', assuming that the public is only concerned with public appearances and 'external' projects conducted directly with the public. Over the course of its 38+year history based in Florida (it was not called TVP before that), TVP has never had the means to do much in that area of localized public festivals, heavy lecturing tours or many of the other things that Peter is much better at both handling and affording. They don't have Peter's budget and they don't have the luxury of Peter's much more resilient, younger body and healing abilities. Jacque recently turned 97 and recently suffered a broken hip (please think HARD about both of those things) and Roxanne is also not as young as she was back when they created all that we are trying to share with the rest of the planet.

So, instead of fancy festivals, they must focus on recording and releasing (within their very limited budget) as much info & understanding as possible from Jacque before he leaves us, while also focusing hard on completing the script for the movie. In addition, they are also trying their best to help the people who have graciously volunteered their time and purpose to helping with the awareness campaign that we're all involved in. The money that was (and continues to be) donated toward the making of the motion picture has not been touched (by law, they are permitted to use it for a variety of things directly associated with TVP, but they haven't). J&R are fully committed to using it only toward the making of the movie and, from all that I have seen so far, they will not stop until that becomes reality for the world. In addition, they have resisted using some of it in ways that would not have given the donators a worthwhile return on their investment. For example, they chose to interview prospective screenwriters instead of just directly hiring one. That turned out to be a very smart decision, since none of the screenwriters who applied for the task could handle the complexities of the RBE concept well enough to handle this incredibly important script. As a result, Roxanne has had to put off many of the other things that she normally handles in order to focus her time and energies to the task of script expansion. Thankfully, she had found a couple of people who are helping for free, which then preserves the donations for even more important things they have yet to face with this huge movie project. I could go on, but I'm hopeful that you can clearly see that there is much more to everything than just what we are able to see from our naturally limited perspectives.

This complaint is directed towards TVP not you Ray . You're doing great work .

I seriously appreciate this sentiment, Jagi. But I also understand very well that we're ALL in this together. If TVP goes bankrupt, I can almost guarantee you that TZM will find it very difficult, if not impossible, to sustain itself for very long. The negative reverberations will echo massively across the entire RBE network and a lot of the current support will simply give up hope.

Bottom line:
TBTMCB is the life's work of the man who put all of this together in ways that provide for the systems approach that we are all here to support, regardless of connection to TVP, TZM, Occupy, Anonymous or any other 'group'. I often jokingly refer to this book as the RBE Bible and nothing else comes even remotely close to such a claim, jokingly or otherwise.
TVP needs money to sustain itself.
This book has always been a TVP store item, starting long before TZM existed or any of us got involved. It is not only unreasonable to ask (or worse, demand) that they change that for anyone's ideals, it is anti-productive to their (and our) need to keep the research center from going bankrupt.
LTI is here to fully support the public transcription, proofreading & translation needs of both TVP & TZM.
Making this book available in many more languages than English opens up the most comprehensive collection of RBE material to the rest of the planet. To not do this, or to put personal ideals ahead of need for massive global awareness, would be unsane.

Much love & respect to you Jagi, regardless of what you choose to do here. :loveya:

7 registered users and 98 guests thanked already.

Ana, Christos Pap., Davtam, Calvetmaria, rock3r, esdrasantana, Apophis

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion