You are not logged in.

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Thursday, December 15th 2011, 12:50pm

Those strings are the ones i reduced the reading stress (gave more time for less characters). The ones that are critical are the ones right next to it, when the interviewer starts a transition in the subject. We cant really read all that she says and it is not really important, so maybe we could abbreviate it?

00:02:10,835 --> 00:02:12,592
but I'll pause there and let you continue. - Thank you

00:02:12,732 --> 00:02:14,406
and we'll get more into this. To stick to what you brought up

I was able to distribute into these some of the stress that was on the strings before; but i can change it back anytime. But as these don't say nothing important, just polite talk to change subject in a race against time, maybe we can keep the small reading time they have and cut on the text? They would become more readable and so not just a distracting factor for the viewer?

hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 24 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

Public Relations Group

Thursday, December 15th 2011, 3:49pm

There are 4 strings that i merged because the reading stress was around 40 characters/second (in pink down here). They where 4 smaller strings and I merged them into two long strings of 79 and 81 characters. This way, merged, they became of 26charc/sec and 34 charac/sec, respectively. I think it is preferable to have them as big and readable, since it seems there are possibilities for the translators to shorten them. For example, "The first thing I would say" can be cut into just "First,.." ; and the "then they won't have any initiative to do so", according to the context coming from the string before, I wonder if the "to do so" part needs to be in the translation. Probably varies between languages.
It would be nice that some of you with experience in translation could say something. I can always cut the strings into 4 again.
Once again, Michal (Rakosnicek), what an amazing transcriptionof these 2 talking trains (PJ + Interviewer) you did :thumbsup:

00:05:07,591 --> 00:05:10,789
They say "If people don't have a direct material incentive to work

00:05:10,929 --> 00:05:14,467
hence reward, that carrot stick, then they won't have any initiative to do so."

00:05:14,607 --> 00:05:17,462
The first thing I would say, is that scientifically a lot of research's been done

00:05:17,602 --> 00:05:19,502
to show, that when it comes to creative interests
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 21 guests thanked already.

Ray

Public Relations Group

Thursday, December 15th 2011, 6:24pm

Timeshifting is done :dance:

Let me know if you have considerations to share on the issuesI posted on this thread about the super fast strings. I can always correct something anytime.

This is a really nice interview!!!Now I know why so many are asking for it :peace:
hugs,

2 registered users and 23 guests thanked already.

brunodc, Ray

• "gentlejewel" is female

Date of registration: Sep 11th 2011

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader

Friday, December 16th 2011, 8:23am

OK. I would love to take a look at it but maybe you can list all the strings that need to be adjusted? Let me know xx
Signature from »gentlejewel« All for 1, and 1 for all...

1 registered user and 29 guests thanked already.

Ray

English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader

Friday, December 16th 2011, 8:40am

You know, I'm lately having some strange things in the forum. For example this morning when I was checking the thread I only saw the 2 post van Nomada: Yesterday at 12:50pm and Yesterday, 6:24pm and not the one 'yesterday at 3:49pm'. So I make my post and 'magically' I now see the post from 3:49 pm... Anyone else experiencing this?

1 registered user and 47 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "brunodc" is male
  • "brunodc" started this thread

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Friday, December 16th 2011, 8:48am

I can't say that I have, sweet J! Good luck for the proofing :)

:kiss:

2 registered users and 21 guests thanked already.

gentlejewel, Ray

Public Relations Group

Saturday, December 17th 2011, 11:09am

Hi : ) Glad you feel for checking them, Julie. Maybe the 2nd proofer can share some considerations too after seeing these posts.

There are many huge strings on that video but they might be ok for any English good reader since the sound also helps.It is the translators that should have the concern of shortening them by using the relative maneuver given by the fact that they have to translate the meaning of the string and not literally. So... I think that only those strings that it is impossible for the human eye to follow in the English transcript, could be reduced, as long as the meaning remains as integral as possible. What do you think?

I think we had considered already, in the English team guidelines discussions, this strategies of cutting on text but we kept it to those unnecessary stuff that people start sentences with, like "you know,.." "Ok, ..." etc. But in this case it might be tricky to cut on the text.

I didn't felt any issues with the viewing this thread Julie. But I noticed that your reference to the posts by sharing the time to which they were created, don't help much to all those who don't know you are in Greece and could so do a time conversion to their zone :D That's right, the times we see on the forum are sett to each one's clock :tonguer: I tend to forget that myself too hehehe. Why shouldn't the whole world use the same time and we would know that at noon it would be, for example, night in Sweden and day in China. It would be much easier!!

1 registered user and 24 guests thanked already.

Ray

English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader

Saturday, December 17th 2011, 11:29am

It would be nice if we could just keep the original transcript but if it's untranslatable then it doesn't really fulfill the purpose that we're aiming for. I'll just put everything in the notes (original and the changes) and then the second proofreader can see what he or she thinks.

Funny about the times. I always get standard 2 hours earlier than what it is in Greece. I guess I have London time :)...

1 registered user and 29 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Rakosnicek" is male

Date of registration: Sep 3rd 2011

Language Team: Czech

Translator
Translation Proofreader

Sunday, December 18th 2011, 11:54pm

Totally agree with nomada/Julia's suggestions, the main thing is to preserve the meaning, words are only helpers which can be adjusted as needed....
Signature from »Rakosnicek« Czech/English Linguistic Team

Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.

1 registered user and 26 guests thanked already.

Ray

English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader

Friday, December 23rd 2011, 4:29pm

Oh my - that took a while... What I've done is I've gone through the whole piece seeing which words I think could be taken our, shortened or changed. I've left them as suggestions in the notes.

xx

3 registered users and 24 guests thanked already.

brunodc, nomada, Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion