Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Friday, March 23rd 2012, 8:19pm

James Phillips - TZM Education - Vancouver Z-Day, 2012

James Phillips talks about education, going into schools, and working with TZM Education at Zeitgeist Day 2012 in Vancouver, Canada. ( 29:38 )

For Translators: Go to the Working Location Link, sign into your dotSUB.com account, choose your language in the "Translate" selection and click translate.
If you're new to all of this, check out this short video for a quick tutorial on how to translate with dotSUB.
Just before you start, and then later when you are done, post your intentions or results to this forum thread so others can see the progress.
Ask for help in this thread too, in case you need some guidance.

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "Ray" (Jan 19th 2019, 2:23am)

1 registered user and 55 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "brunodc" is male
  • "brunodc" started this thread

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Tuesday, April 3rd 2012, 2:29pm

Transcription done by Cris.
brunodc has attached the following file:

2 registered users and 51 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

• "cris" is female

Date of registration: Jun 5th 2011

Language Team: Spanish Team

Friday, April 27th 2012, 7:17am

Vixi and I also did the first round of proofreading and I'm doing the timeshifting. I'm having a hard time because he speaks very fast and I get a bit frustrated, but I'll hopefully finish it soon :)

1 registered user and 58 guests thanked already.

Ray

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Friday, April 27th 2012, 10:08am

No hurries Cris! Having fun is the most important, remember? :party:

As we are here, I wanna share that I finished timeshifting on Jacque talk yesterday and left many strings bigger than 70 characters. Sometimes bigger than 80. I have been asking Lizardman, as he translates to Bulgarian - one of the languages with a hard time to fit their translation in the same space - about specific situations and he has being in agreement with a larger string preferable to 2 short strings but fast and not cut in accordance to the sentence grammar structure. One reference I have been using to decide if it is better to cut the seemingly "too long" strings or not is, if the content is complex in terms of words used but mostly relations between words. I can not explain very well but maybe I can find some examples and share this in the Tea and Cookies ;) For now I just got motivated to share this because you said he speaks too fast, Cris. So, don't worry making it all bellow 70 characters. The translators have a good versatility when translating the meaning too. (and they don't have that versatility when dealing with sort strings of segmented sentences.)

super hugs!! ^^
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 58 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "cris" is female

Date of registration: Jun 5th 2011

Language Team: Spanish Team

Sunday, April 29th 2012, 3:33pm

Thanks, Rodrigo, I have taken it into account and I made some strings longer, but there are some strings which I just haven't managed to fit (mostly those type of "more than 35 in less than 2 seconds" which you were referring to. Please take a look at it and get in touch if you find anything that can be improved. Thanks and regards :angel:
cris has attached the following file:

1 registered user and 54 guests thanked already.

Ray

Public Relations Group

Saturday, May 5th 2012, 11:49am

Sorry I took so long to take this. I completely forgot :angel:

I'll put here some examples of how I made the subtitle strings more readable/longer in time, with the minimum loss on other guidelines. Maybe we can find better ways out of this sharing ;)

In this situation, both strings were pushed back, so the first string is not in synch anymore; and the text in orange was transferred to the 2nd string:
00:01:17,707 --> 00:01:19,376
Upon coming to the Movement,

00:01:19,516 --> 00:01:22,248
a profound realization hit me when I finally understood our materials

Inthis situation, the string that had +35 characters and <2 seconds was "towards the notion that they really could". I merged it with the string before since it is preferable that a language has the space/time that can allow for restructuring the sentences and keep the meaning than to have enough space to fit the text but not be able to read it. I also synched the 3rd string with the word "merely", since it usually keeps its esthetic/harmony in the synch as it would do when synched with the word "is"; and this way give even more time to the string before.
00:01:47,010 --> 00:01:50,981
This potential openess a child has towards the notion that they really could

00:01:51,121 --> 00:01:53,304
radically change the world and make it a better place

00:01:53,444 --> 00:01:56,570
is not merely to be passed off as simple childish naivety.

I just noticed there are some strings that could be merged here and there and, despite that they will end up bigger than 70characters, the reading will be improved, so I'l make a general revision on this one. Today I'll finish it. I'll let you know :thumbup:

In these strings, since the 1st one had a short reading time (29 characters/second; level yellow: "a bit fast") and as that that second string has even more time where to be stretched to, beyond those 1:08,000, I was tempted to merge them and make a 77character long string with god reading time. But I opted to synch the second string with the word "education", instead of with the word "into", and similarly to the example above in this post, it keeps the synch esthetics/harmony while leaving some extra time for the string before (which became of 26 characters/second; level green: "good") Usually, these levels of reading speed verify when we watch it, but it depends of if there are hard to read words or complicated relations/abstractions. When these more complicated to explain terms are present I tend to NOT merge the strings making them >70characters; since I think those are the situations when the other languages need more words to convey them and their text might not fit the string in the end.
00:01:03,484 --> 00:01:05,963
to get the ideas of a Resource-based Economic Model

00:01:06,103 --> 00:01:08,000
into the education system
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "nomada" (May 5th 2012, 12:30pm)

2 registered users and 55 guests thanked already.

cris, Ray

Public Relations Group

Sunday, May 6th 2012, 11:08pm

It is not yet that I will finish to review the timeshifting of this project, but soon. Tomorrow almost for sure ; )

hugs

1 registered user and 53 guests thanked already.

Ray

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, May 8th 2012, 6:16pm

Hi! I am done revising this timeshifting. This is a really hard one to fit the text in such small time to read it. That means, the speaker is very fast for us to be able to read everything before the subtitle strings change. The result to help increase the reading time is lots of strings bigger than 70 character, where the translators will have to fit the MEANING of the speech, in the best way they can, without going over the 2lines of text (~84 characters. Some languages tend to have a harder time with this, like Bulgarian, where there are no thin letters in their alphabet, like we have l's and i's :tonguer: ). The alternative would be having situations of several shorter, in text and time, strings in a row, which makes reading hard and we often loose the idea being transmited.

If the first teams to translate this project find any string that seems very hard to fit your translation of the MEANING into it, let us know and we might be able to go back to the transcription and improve it. But I doubt it.

One example, that Bruno shared, of a string over 70 characters, that you could face while translating, and need a solution to fit your translation, is:

String: "and constructively apply yourself towards promoting the underlying understanding" total of 80 characters (long for most languages to fit a corresponding meaning translation in the same 2 lines of subtitle string.
Solution: Consider not translating "constructively" and/or "underlying". This way you keep the meaning almost fully integral, with less text.

I hope this helps. Let us know what you think. That means :cheer: WE NEED FEEDBAAACK!!

2 registered users and 51 guests thanked already.

cris, Ray

• "gentlejewel" is female

Date of registration: Sep 11th 2011

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader

Friday, May 18th 2012, 6:36pm

I will start PR2 on this one...

xx
Signature from »gentlejewel« All for 1, and 1 for all...

1 registered user and 61 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "gentlejewel" is female

Date of registration: Sep 11th 2011

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader

Friday, May 18th 2012, 8:55pm

Wow! Great job on the prior proofreading/transcribing! PR2 accomplished xx
Signature from »gentlejewel« All for 1, and 1 for all...

3 registered users and 59 guests thanked already.

nomada, brunodc, Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion