You are not logged in.

• "JPH" is male

Date of registration: Jul 20th 2012

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Public Relations Group

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 5:12pm

lol true story, though when Im doing videos at 4-5-6 am, surely there will be mistakes :P

1 registered user and 41 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Di Anna

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 10:26pm

Culture In Decline Error Notes (Eng Dept FR)

Hey, wonderful LTI,

I've just completed the Final Review on CID for the Eng.Team. I am using this thread to report concerns I noted during the review. Perhaps this will help the translators as well as the Eng Team to gain greater understanding of my corrections and edits. I want to begin by saying that the transcribers, timeshifters, and proofreaders who came before me have done a tremendous job with Culture In Decline. I made fewer corrections than I ever have in other Final Reviews. It was a tremendous effort and done in record time. I am so proud to be a part of this fantastic team!

For the Eng.Team
I noted and corrected these:
At 9:08, the phrase transcribed 'lack their own' was really 'lack thereof'.
At 26:12, the compound adjective 'cut-throat' used to describe 'competitive environment' was left out.
These were the only major errors I found. Otherwise, I added some commas, took out some commas, added some semi-colons and a few hyphens for compound adjectives. It was a job well done!

For the translators:
We usually edit out many of PJs filler expressions in lectures. (Examples: if you will, of course, hence, well)
In this piece I chose to leave many of these in the subtitles. Since this is not a lecture and the narration seemed to flow more naturally with the expressions, I decided to keep most of them. I did edit out some, as did others on the Eng.Team, especially 'well' when used to introduce a sentence.

A point on double-quotes: We decided to use single-quotes for words and phrases and I have done this in most cases. There's one exception in CID, and it occurs when Louie the Gremlin is questioned by PJ. In PJs subtitles, the word "wants" appears in double-quotes (18:03), and I would usually change it to single-quotes. Because it was on the screen, I left it in double-quotes. (This is the American tradition, which is why PJ uses double-quotes.)

I'm hoping the Carl Sagan quote at the end can move a little slower because it's hard to read at this speed, but I'll have to leave that one up to the timeshifters.

Please be sure to report anything you question here, and ENJOY! What a wonderful piece this is!
((hugs)) from me,
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

3 registered users and 37 guests thanked already.

brunodc, JPH, Borislav/lizardman

• "brunodc" is male
  • "brunodc" started this thread

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 5:14am

@Di Anna: the error reporting threads are meant to report errors after videos have been open for translation. When we're going through stages prior to opening the video to translators, we can still make corrections, so we report them in the proofing threads.

This video is now open for translation

P.S: I edited the strings for the Carl Sagan quote, because as Di Anna pointed out, they pass by pretty fast. Since this is on screen text, I just disregarded our guidelines and made strings as long as necessary. Hope it's OK.

2 registered users and 33 guests thanked already.

JPH, Di Anna

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 10:21am

oooh. nice you took care of it Bruno!! I guess the video is out for translation!! Lets put it in as many languages as we can :thumbup:

superhusgs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

2 registered users and 38 guests thanked already.

JPH, Di Anna

• "Mr_B" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 12:43pm

Good work team! Another one in the can!
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

1 registered user and 30 guests thanked already.

JPH

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Final Reviewer

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 12:51pm

the error reporting threads are meant to report errors after videos have been open for translation. When we're going through stages prior to opening the video to translators, we can still make corrections, so we report them in the proofing threads.

This video is now open for translation

P.S: I edited the strings for the Carl Sagan quote, because as Di Anna pointed out, they pass by pretty fast. Since this is on screen text, I just disregarded our guidelines and made strings as long as necessary. Hope it's OK.

Thanks so much, Lord BB, for this thread and finding a proper place for my FR notes. I expected there would be some slip-ups 'cause we were all working so late and long. Hey, James, I worked 5 hours straight on it yesterday, but what a trip!
((BIG hugs))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

1 registered user and 27 guests thanked already.

JPH

• "JPH" is male

Date of registration: Jul 20th 2012

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Public Relations Group

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 8:09pm

it was a nice video, much better than the first, more intellectual, less 'shock rock' :)

1 registered user and 31 guests thanked already.

Di Anna

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion