You are not logged in.

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Friday, March 29th 2013, 6:42pm

Great choice, Jonny! :thumbsup:

I have you on Wiki, and you're ready to go.

((BIG HUGS)),
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

2 registered users and 24 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, Ray

• "jonny" is male

Date of registration: Jan 17th 2013

Language Team: English

Friday, March 29th 2013, 6:58pm

Great!

Thanks, Di! I will be committing myself to this tomorrow, for sure, if not later today!

bye!
Jonny :tea: :smiley:

3 registered users and 22 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, nomada, Ray

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Friday, March 29th 2013, 9:32pm

Nice choice Jonny!! Have fun! :bighug:

I see Di updated the wiki already!! thank you sweetie!! :loveya:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 18 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "jonny" is male

Saturday, March 30th 2013, 7:13pm

Hi Nomada! Thanks!

Jonny

1 registered user and 17 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "jonny" is male

Saturday, March 30th 2013, 10:21pm

A few Subtitle-Proofreading questions

Hi Di, Nomada, and everyone! I'm doing my first assignment in proofreading subtitles (2nd stage) and I have a few general questions:
1. when two persons are speaking, as in an interview situation, is there a way to denote one speaker versus the other. I see a dash - used intermittently but in an inconsistent manner.
2. If the dash IS used for this purpose, should the dash be placed with each change of the speaker or only designating one of them over the course of the video segment?
3.If used, should the subtitle be dropped to the next line, letting the dash introduce the change in speaker, rather than running it immediately after the previous speaker's words (which looks odd and confusing)?
4. Is there any way to italicize words for emphasis? I've seen all capital letters used in the word, occasionally, but when done, it seems distracting when viewing it on the video.....
5. Should the subtitle contain all the "ums" and "ohs" that speakers say, even when unnecessary to the meaning...in other words, should the subtitle be exactly what was said or "cleaned-up," edited for clarity....only, of course, if intention and meaning are not altered by doing so?

Sorry for all the questions :huhwhat: , but just want to make sure I'm doing the most efficient and accurate proofing that I can, LOL! :kewl:

Thanks!
Jonny

2 registered users and 19 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, March 31st 2013, 2:29am

Hi Jonny!! : )
Great questions!
1. when two persons are speaking, as in an interview situation, is there a way to denote one speaker versus the other. I see a dash - used intermittently but in an inconsistent manner.
Always that the speaker changes, the dash should be there. Sometimes, if it is hard to identify who is speaking, because it does not appear on screen, we identify it with the first letters of the name, like [JF]. Better confirm this guideline.

2. If the dash IS used for this purpose, should the dash be placed with each change of the speaker or only designating one of them over the course of the video segment?
with each change of speaker.

3.If used, should the subtitle be dropped to the next line, letting the dash introduce the change in speaker, rather than running it immediately after the previous speaker's words (which looks odd and confusing)?
If the change in speaker is done in the same subtitle string - which is what I think you mean here - We put the dash 2 spaces after so it does not become so confusing. Better verify this one too.
Ex:
What did you say? - I said that it's OK.

4. Is there any way to italicize words for emphasis? I've seen all capital letters used in the word, occasionally, but when done, it seems distracting when viewing it on the video.....
Unfortunately not in dotsub. Except if it is a new feature, but I don't think so. It was always a limitation since I remember someone making the same question.

5. Should the subtitle contain all the "ums" and "ohs" that speakers say, even when unnecessary to the meaning...in other words, should the subtitle be exactly what was said or "cleaned-up," edited for clarity....only, of course, if intention and meaning are not altered by doing so?
I think we don't transcribe those.

I am glad you have put those questions. I hope Di can give some feedback too. Hey @Di Anna: :party:

Here is the Enlish Quickie, Jonny.Did you know this already? I see they don't include some of the details you mentioned here.Maybe we can fix that after Di's feedback.
http://wiki.linguisticteam.org/w/English…nd_Proofreaders

superhugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

2 registered users and 19 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Sunday, March 31st 2013, 3:28am

Excellent questions, Jonny! Not to mention nice answers from Nomada!

I will chime in, too.

This is a quote from the Guidelines on Wiki:
Do not transcribe:
padding expressions (you know, sort of, kind of, hum, well, eh...)

I think this answers #5, Jonny.

Another quote from the Guidelines on Wiki:
Intonation
Do not emphasize a word using all capital letters except to indicate screaming.

I think this answers #4, Jonny, sort of. Of course, you are saying: "So, what do I do?" Actually, sometimes if needed we may use single quotes for emphasis, but I would like to verify this with the Team, and yes, Nomada... I don't think it's in the Guidelines about what we should do, only what we shouldn't do. Hm...
If the change in speaker is done in the same subtitle string - which is what I think you mean here - We put the dash 2 spaces after so it does not become so confusing. Better verify this one too.
Ex:
What did you say? - I said that it's OK.

I agree with this answer from Nomada, but once again I don't think it is specified clearly in the Guidelines. The only statement in the Guidelines is that a space follows the hyphen.

Quoted from "jonny"
with each change of speaker.

Yes, I agree with Nomada that the hypen is used each time the speaker changes. Here's another statement from the Guidelines:
Quote from the Quickie on Wiki:
Speaker Identification
If the speaker is not visible on screen, use his name or identifier in parentheses (P. Joseph)
In a dialogue, use a hyphen - followed by a space. (- Do you like that? - Yes.)

I think that answers #1 and #2 But it is not clearly stated in the Guidelines either. This is just what we have been doing.

And now that these points have been brought to our attention, I think that Marlyse should be brought in to take a look at our comments and initiate some changes on the Wiki Guidelines. Whatcha think, Granny M?

((SuperwHugs)),
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

1 registered user and 17 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "jonny" is male

Sunday, March 31st 2013, 3:23pm

Good Morning, Di & Nomada!!!

Thank you for this excellent (as always) input and guidance! I found and read (too quickly..perhaps only skimming??? :nonono: ) the LTI Guidelines, but not the Quick Reference, and these specific questions didn't seem to have a clear answers....so your clarifications are much appreciated, as is the link to the Quick Reference!!! I'm about midway in this Video and will complete it soon!

Bye, and have a great day!
Jonny

4 registered users and 17 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, nomada, MarlysePi, Ray

• "MarlysePi" is female

Date of registration: Oct 26th 2011

Language Team: English, French

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, April 1st 2013, 10:38am

Hi Jonny, Di and Nomada,

I think what Jonny was saying is that he didn't find all the information he needed in the LTI Guidelines, and felt confused. HIs questions reflect this. He had not read the Quick Reference yet.
The Quick Reference is quite clear and answers his questions, except for 3.
I did not know about the custom of putting TWO spaces before the hyphen for clarity.

I suggest that we change the guidelines: "In a dialogue, the speakers are always separated by two spaces followed by a hyphen. No space after the hyphen. (-Do you like that? -Yes.)"

This would avoid a recurring problem with DotSub, where a dash falls at the end of a line and gets separated from the following text. And it would add clarity.
As for putting the two parts of a dialogue on two lines for clarity, it cannot be done in DotSub because we cannot control where the line separation falls within a string (something which I find also utterly frustrating).

What do you think Di ?

1 registered user and 18 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Monday, April 1st 2013, 2:55pm

I suggest that we change the guidelines: "In a dialogue, the speakers are always separated by two spaces followed by a hyphen. No space after the hyphen. (-Do you like that? -Yes.)"

This would avoid a recurring problem with DotSub, where a dash falls at the end of a line and gets separated from the following text. And it would add clarity.
As for putting the two parts of a dialogue on two lines for clarity, it cannot be done in DotSub because we cannot control where the line separation falls within a string (something which I find also utterly frustrating).

This makes really good sense to me, Marlyse, but would you clarify a bit more? How about when we need to identify the speaker with name in parentheses?
(J.Fresco) -Do you like that? -Yes. -- Would it be like this?

Also, when you say two spaces, is one of those actually a hyphen? ('two spaces followed by a hyphen' sounds like space, space, hyphen.)

Hope I've explained this clearly. Maybe some transcribers could also weigh-in?

Yay, Team! :cheer: Great to re-visit the Guidelines and the way they are written. :thumbup: Sooo important to us all!
Thanks, Marlyse! :)

2 registered users and 18 guests thanked already.

MarlysePi, Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion