You are not logged in.

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Monday, August 19th 2013, 1:19am

I guess Jonny is not around.Anyone wants to take the 2nd round of proofreading on this?
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 21 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "Suze" is female

Date of registration: Mar 5th 2013

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, August 26th 2013, 1:00am

I'll take it.

2 registered users and 23 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

• "Suze" is female

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Tuesday, August 27th 2013, 11:50pm

TVP - Planned Obsolescence

PR2 complete. Ready for FR. :lashes:

3 registered users and 13 guests thanked already.

nomada, Di Anna, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Friday, September 6th 2013, 2:07am

Final Review is underway

OkeeeDokeee

I'm going in for the Final Review.
((hugs))
Di :fc-love:
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

3 registered users and 17 guests thanked already.

nomada, Suze, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Wednesday, September 18th 2013, 3:11am

Final Review COMPLETED

What a great little video this one is! From Carlin's routines to the Larry King Interview, there's good variety and nice editing to bring home the message that technology WILL change the world. I love it when Larry King says, "Five years ago, I laughed at you, but today what you say is believable."

I did make some changes. But in particular, just reminding everyone that our Guidelines state there should be a space after the hyphen denoting change of speaker. And I changed those 'gonnas' to 'going to' etc, to help our translators-- by giving them standard English to translate. :fc-nerd: At our last discussion, we seem to have concluded that unless dialect or speaker's accent is used to make a significant point, we should stick to good English, rather than transcribe sloppy speech patterns.

Let's put it out there to be translated, Nomada. :fc-cool:
((hugs)) to everyone who worked on this,
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

2 registered users and 16 guests thanked already.

Borislav/lizardman, Ray

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, September 18th 2013, 2:41pm

Great news Di! And thanks for the feedback! :thumbup: No mo gonnas nor wannas from me! :D

This project is ready for translation: http://dotsub.com/view/48291bf2-b5dd-43d9-a329-41d66e5f8348

hugs :fc-love:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 14 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Suze" is female

English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Wednesday, September 18th 2013, 3:11pm

That was me, Di and Nomada. Sorry, guess I forgot to change this one after our last discussion. ;( I understand the difference between "keep the flavor of the dialect" and just plain bad grammar now. However, I keep the Quick Reference up when transcribing/proofing and it says "In a dialogue where speakers are visible on screen, use a hyphen directly followed by text. Separate each speaker by two spaces. (-Do you like that? -Yes.) I find some of the guidelines incomplete or inconsistent. :nonono:

LOVE YOU GUYs!

:) :kiss: :rose: BIG :bighug:

2 registered users and 15 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Wednesday, September 18th 2013, 3:42pm

That was me, Di and Nomada.

Hey, sweet girlfriend. :bighug: I wish there were a bunch more me's like you's. :giggle:

I absolutely LOVE how you follow up and question stuff. That's the way we's learn. :giggle:

Nomada :tongue: and I wanna grow up to be just like you's, and we gonna try to do just that. :giggle:

NOW... about those Guidelines. I just researched that and you are absolutely right. Hey guys, the link Suze is speaking of is HERE.

NOW... This is the text I see, which is located HERE.

Speaker Identification

the hyphen ("-") is used to convey an exchange between two or more people. It is the commonly accepted convention for this usage, which is why it was chosen over tildes (~) or inequality signs (>>). The hyphen, in this case, is always followed by a space.
If more than two participants are involved, the name of the speaker or his role in the segment (Interviewer #1, for example) is added, in parenthesis.

Summary: Speaker Identification
When speakers appear on screen and we can see their lips move, there is no need to denote the change of speaker except in dialogue situations.
visible speaker + random talk = no hyphen
visible speaker + ongoing conversation = hyphen
non visible speaker = name or identifier in brackets (If the speaker is identifiable by name, initial the first name, mention the last name in full (i.e P. Joseph).

I think we need to decide what we want to do concerning this dilemma. It appears to me that we have several versions/rewrites out there. Maybe we changed that Guideline and didn't change it in all places??? Nomada, shall we post another thread for this discussion? We also need Granny Marlyse in on this.

In my case, I'm afraid I operate from experience and don't always check the Guidelines, except when someone questions something. But it's pretty important that we come to a decision and have some consistency going on here. Our newbies will never stick around to be oldies, if we can't guide them with consistency.

((BIG HUGS)) and lots of love to you guys,
Di

1 registered user and 15 guests thanked already.

Ray

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, September 18th 2013, 9:21pm

I can't tell where we diverged. I thought we need to put a space after the hyphen :)

2 registered users and 20 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Wednesday, September 18th 2013, 10:15pm

However, I keep the Quick Reference up when transcribing/proofing and it says "In a dialogue where speakers are visible on screen, use a hyphen directly followed by text.

Nomada, the Quickie Version that Suze is referencing says that text follows the hyphen, not a space.

:fc-confuse:

2 registered users and 15 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion