You are not logged in.

• "Yvonnek" is female

Date of registration: Jul 4th 2013

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Proofreader

Tuesday, July 9th 2013, 3:46pm

Hi there! Well I think I might do another couple of small projects first as I'm still finding my way around the site. I keep both guidelines open actually, the quick reference you sent me and the more comprehensive version, they're handy to reference if need be. I may be able to give Di a dig out, if I know what is involved and the time commitments? So far I've chosen projects with a time frame in mind, but sure lets see what Di has to say too! Ok talk to you both soon! :) YK

1 registered user and 20 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Wednesday, July 10th 2013, 5:15am

I will timeshift this one ;)

If anyone would like to help with timeshifting - no excelent English skills needed - let us know. We surely could need a help around here :seymour:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 18 guests thanked already.

Ray

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, July 10th 2013, 6:29am

Thinking in Systems timeshifting doubts

Hi : )
This is the situation I have here and with which I need help:

00:01:09,904 --> 00:01:12,415
when discussing a natural law resource-based economy.

00:01:12,555 --> 00:01:15,219
I'm going to shorten that down to just natural law model,

00:01:15,359 --> 00:01:16,755
so I don't have to keep repeating that over and over again.

00:01:16,895 --> 00:01:19,342
I've divided this presentation into four parts,

The 3rd string is only 1,4 seconds and all the strings are big in text, so merging them seems not so good. What about refrasing it/them so the text is shorter and can be read in that short time, or merged with another?

http://dotsub.com/view/d36979d4-e6f7-46d7-870d-bf5c061fab34
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

2 registered users and 21 guests thanked already.

Yvonnek, Ray

• "Yvonnek" is female

Date of registration: Jul 4th 2013

Focus Group: English Proofreader

Wednesday, July 10th 2013, 10:12am

Hi there, he speaks very fast doesn't he? If we rephrase what he is saying, then its not an exact representation. Would that be a problem? Perhaps for the speaker? I don't know. I s it usual to rephrase the lengthy strings like this? I would like to know for future reference. Sorry I can't offer any help, if I can let me know :)

2 registered users and 17 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Wednesday, July 10th 2013, 3:23pm

I personally don't feel comfortable with rephrasings. (And we've discussed the issue here; btw, more input is always very welcome.) If there is really no other solution, skipping a few not so much relevant words might be better than rephrasing what was said. But in this case, maybe we don't need to resort to any of this.

I don't know what you've tried in regards to timeshifting, but I'm gonna share my views here just in case they might be helpful. :)

I view things in regards to their importance. The least important would be the еxact time that the subtitle appears on screen. If it's a bit before or a bit after the exact time of utterance, it's not such a big deal. So in this case, we can take some time from the 4th string and transfer it to the 3rd.

Another factor of small importance is the gaps between strings. If visually the adjacent strings do not look alike, then the change from one string to the next is pretty noticeable, even without the gap (140 ms or whatever). So when there is fast talking, these 140 ms gaps can be turned into a lot less, even 1 ms, if there is really no time.

If both of the above don't help much, then another option is to use a string which has more time: take away some of its time and distribute it to the adjacent strings which have little time. Usually the speaker needs to breathe, so you get these pauses rather regularly.

If all of the above doesn't do it, then an option could be to drop some words or a phrase that is not that important.

Anyway, that's my perspective.

3 registered users and 21 guests thanked already.

Yvonnek, nomada, Ray

Public Relations Group

Wednesday, July 10th 2013, 6:26pm

Nice that you guys came to the rescue 8o

If we rephrase what he is saying, then its not an exact representation. Would that be a problem?
We do rephrase sometimes when it is impossible to read what's on the screen and the timeshifting can not help it without cutting some words or some similar solution. This is done with the help of the English proofers, of course, when I ask them to consider. The point here, which is not in the guidelines, is that if you have a string that the viewer can not read because it is too fast, you don't risk loosing only that string but also of causing a distraction and make him/her loose the train of thought (and those are already not easy to understand) and maybe even its motivation to keep watching. So, if the strings to be read and understood is the most important - the viewer doesn't know the string is not so important in content as the strings before and after.

Another factor of small importance is the gaps between strings. If visually the adjacent strings do not look alike, then the change from one string to the next is pretty noticeable, even without the gap (140 ms or whatever). So when there is fast talking, these 140 ms gaps can be turned into a lot less, even 1 ms, if there is really no time.
The 140 ms gaps are big enough to cause a comfort of "I am aware of the subtitle change without worrying or half-shut the eyes but not long enough to make a difference in the reading time.
If both of the above don't help much, then another option is to use a string which has more time: take away some of its time and distribute it to the adjacent strings which have little time. Usually the speaker needs to breathe, so you get these pauses rather regularly.
There is a string just before the ones I quoted which has a quite comfortable reading time, but to anticipate all the other strings in order to give time to that other string will desynchronize the strings a good bit. That is a distraction too for those who watch it with English subs, but it might be preferable? Is that other string content worth it? I have another suggestion:
- Merge that impossible to read string with the one before and cut half the text from it. It is a 93 character string but check its content when you watch the video now (I uploaded an alternative version now):http://dotsub.com/view/d36979d4-e6f7-46d7-870d-bf5c061fab34

Let me know what you think? :wonder:

1 registered user and 21 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "lizardman" is male

Date of registration: Jun 3rd 2011

Language Team: Bulgarian

Focus Group: Translation Proofreader
LTI Administration Group

Thursday, July 11th 2013, 3:34pm

This version looks good to me. The words "over and over again" bring no information.

2 registered users and 18 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

Public Relations Group

Thursday, August 1st 2013, 2:53am

Hi :)

If anyone can check these strings, I think that there is not 2 sentences but only one. No period but a coma should be there. I timeshifted accordingly to this, since it improves readability quite a bit.

00:17:41,796 --> 00:17:45,373
the waste reduction alone would be immense. Along with recycling, updating

00:17:45,513 --> 00:17:48,687
and longevity designed into the products that we use.

Link to the video: http://dotsub.com/view/d36979d4-e6f7-46d7-870d-bf5c061fab34

1 registered user and 21 guests thanked already.

Ray

Public Relations Group

Friday, August 2nd 2013, 2:07am

Done with timeshifting and ready for Final Review!! :fc-ninja:

This is a great presentation!! Very enlightening!! :fc-star:

Have fun!

2 registered users and 19 guests thanked already.

Borislav/lizardman, Ray

• "Suze" is female

Date of registration: Mar 5th 2013

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Friday, November 8th 2013, 12:35am

Z-Day 2013 - Jason Lord "Thinking in Systems"

Starting FR.

:)

1 registered user and 19 guests thanked already.

Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion