You are not logged in.

• "Mr_B" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Sunday, September 22nd 2013, 10:34pm

SO Prince Nomada, I see that the English transcription in the working location is marked as 100% done and so I am locked out of pushing my PR1 changes back up there. Can you open it back up for me?
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

2 registered users and 37 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

nomada, Ray

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Monday, September 23rd 2013, 12:41am

Right away boss! I'll download what's there and attach it here, just for safety, so the dotsub location is empty and you can upload yours :thumbup:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 25 guests thanked already.

Ray

Public Relations Group

Monday, September 23rd 2013, 12:44am

Done :seymour:
nomada has attached the following file:
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

2 registered users and 23 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "Mr_B" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Monday, September 23rd 2013, 5:58am

Thx Nomada!

OK, PR1 (and basically PR2 combined) is complete, revised SRT is pushed out to the working location, and the diff and analysis files are attached. Several comments on yet another excellent vid by Peter:
  • Even though (per the analysis file) I ended up with a fairly large number of 71+ char lines, most of them are in the low 70s, with only one cresting 80 chars. Overall this was a much more tame vid than say CID-5, which had a dearth of 70+ lines, and they were in the high 70s, low 80s and a few even in the high 80s. So it could be worse LOL!! To repeat, this goes with the territory with Peter's dense content and rapid delivery.

• Other than the above and a couple short lines I was able to respect all analysis rules, which I was quite pleased with. Note some static subs went on for a long time, for example noting Kellee Maize's singing; I truncated all of these to 6 secs as per that rule. (Newbies take note: it was decided early on that a sub longer than 6 secs sort of numbs the viewers eyes (and attention) and so they are truncated accordingly.)

• I bent (OK, ignored) the grammar rule of spelling out numbers less than 10, ie, 8 billion not eight billion. Lady Di if you're reading this, we gotta talk. Yes spelling out numbers under 10 is a traditional grammar rule, but it strikes me as simpler, shorter (saving precious characters in the count), and easier on the viewer's eyes (as I noted earlier with Suze). Perhaps we can discuss such "mods" to such traditional grammar rules so as to be more accommodating when applied to subtitles.

• I further bent some basic sentence structure just to keep the content cohesive. A good example is:

(transcript)
    I don't know about you, but when I stumble around this planet we call home, a system condition that demands one thing to ensure the prosperity of the human family adaptation, I am at once impressed at our tremendous accomplishments as a species and at once horrified at the ignorant failures ...

I read the above several times confused at exactly what the structure was and what Peter was trying to say. Finally I figured it out using Peter's inflected voice at 'adaptaion' as a cue:

(my interpretaion)
    I don't know about you, but when I stumble around this planet we call home, a system condition that demands one thing to ensure the prosperity of the human family: adaptation, I am at once impressed at our tremendous accomplishments as a species and at once horrified at the ignorant failures ...

In other words the "one thing" is "adaptation" (of course), which could have ended there and been a standalone sentence to be a little clearer, but Peter kind of rolls on, hence the comma afterward and the rest of the sentence.

• Note at the very end Peter mis-spells Arthur Clarke's name onscreen! It is 'Arthur C Clarke' not 'Authur C Clarke' as per the graphic, so I spelled it correctly in the sub and sent Peter an email pointing this out to him for future reference. Please do not undo this to match the (mis-spelled) name in the vid.

• I threw in the whimsical [Poof!] strings in sync with Peter's "time machine" disappearing in a puff of smoke. Ha ha, hope you like it. ;)

So that's it! Take it away FR!
Mr_B has attached the following files:
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

6 registered users and 25 guests thanked already.

Ray, nomada, Suze, Borislav/lizardman, Di Anna, Christos Pap.

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Monday, September 23rd 2013, 12:41pm

You rock, Mr B!
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

2 registered users and 24 guests thanked already.

Suze, Di Anna

Public Relations Group

Monday, September 23rd 2013, 1:48pm

Haha! wow MrB! You don't pass through here very often but when you do, you just slam dunk with all your experience in proofreading and timeshifting :thumbsup:
Great feedback and GREAT CATCH!! with the 'adaptation' thing.

I guess this is pending Final Review?

PS - Mr.B; @Suze: is also learning how to transcribe and proofread with VSS. Maybe you have different approaches or know different features of the software than me and be able to help Suze tame (new word, not sure if well applied here :tongue: ) VisualSubSync better.

have fun!

1 registered user and 28 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Suze" is female

Date of registration: Mar 5th 2013

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Monday, September 23rd 2013, 5:18pm

WOW! Thanks again Mr. B. I can't get my Acrobat Reader to work right now, but I'm looking forward to learn more from the Master Bee!!

:) :bow: :idolize:

2 registered users and 22 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Final Reviewer

Monday, September 23rd 2013, 8:23pm

Final Review is underway

Oh yeah... I LOVE following this team! :thumbup:

Mr. B, yes, I'm reading you on that number rule and I'm afraid I have to agree with you. In fact, I've broken it a few times too, (but don't tell Suze, LOL. She's corrected me already on that). Our Guidelines do need some discussion on these points.

About that sentence structure concerning 'adaptation', it appears to me that you've interpreted it correctly, but I'll reserve my final opinion after the final review. No, a period following 'adaptation' would not be correct because the clause is missing the verb (is).

You guys are great! I'll be back after the Final Review, hopefully soon, with more input.
((hugs))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

2 registered users and 21 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

Public Relations Group

Tuesday, September 24th 2013, 2:43am

WOW! Thanks again Mr. B. I can't get my Acrobat Reader to work right now, but I'm looking forward to learn more from the Master Bee!!
:rofl:

2 registered users and 23 guests thanked already.

Suze, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Final Reviewer

Tuesday, September 24th 2013, 6:40pm

Final Review COMPLETED, but...

I've finished the review, and although it's mostly 'small stuff', I thought it would be good to have Team input before releasing Episode 6 to the world. So, here goes. I've numbered the items to make it easier for you guys to reference them when replying.

1. I inserted commas around PJ’s ‘hence’ and ‘if you will’ and ‘of course’ as these are parenthetical expressions. We have opted to leave them out completely in PJ's lectures, but somehow, I felt they are so typical of the PJ-style in CiD, I decided to leave them in, I have a feeling that the translators rarely translate these expressions, but perhaps it’s best to let them decide it, based on what works for them. Would some translators like to weigh-in on this by telling us what you usually do?

2. I used quotes for ‘invisible hand’, as Adam Smith's metaphor for the self-regulating market system.

3. 21st century (century should be lowercase, unless it’s in a title, like 20th Century Fox.). This occurred frequently in CiD.

4. 02:32.461
02:37.885
as opposed to the wheeling-and-dealing inherently elitist market anarchy (I inserted hyphens for the compound noun)

5. 00:20.910
00:23.713
It's perhaps not the most exciting thing in entertainment today. (This was transcribed with the 'It's' omitted. The sentence began with 'Perhaps'. Actually, PJ says: "Yeah, it's perhaps not..." I chose to insert the 'It' because it completes the sentence, but I left out the 'Yeah').
00:23.930
00:24.980
I don't know.

6. 06:00.553
06:04.994
Science and technology, put into the hands of forward-thinking developers,
06:05.192
06:08.926
who perhaps recognize the profound capacity to create an abundance …
tend to view the world very differently
(It was transcribed as ‘could’, not ‘who’, but I'm sure I hear ‘who’. Also the sentence doesn't make sense with ‘could’.)

7. 08:34.009
08:37.992
as the US, we would have needed four more Earths' worth of resources,
(I changed Earths to Earths' to make it plural possessive.)

8. 07:12.373
07:15.698
Then, we'll visit a possible future that very well could be,
07:15.838
07:19.846
if we as a species were willing to simply employ our vast potential
07:20.036
07:24.891
to forge a new, highly-efficient societal design with new practices:
(Originally, there was a ; after ‘practices’. I think the : is more logical. Semicolon wouldn't be correct because what follows it is not an independent clause.)
07:25.08
07:27.970
a design which is not utopian or idealistic
07:28.110
07:30.489
but rather quite simple, practical and doable,

9. 17:23.679
17:26.450
As Mouse would say "I would love everybody to live in tree houses." (It was transcribed without the quotation marks and a comma after 'say'.)

10. Operation TAMPON (capital letters for the acronym “Total Awareness Military Protocol Operational Network”)

11. World War III instead of World War Three, yes?

12. Capitalize ‘Congress’, just like ‘President’ when they are US titles.
13. Should we transcribe Kelly Maize’s lyrics to ‘Tree of Life’? They seems meaningful to the message. Whatcha think?

Special KUDOS to Suze & Mr. B for a great job on the quiz show bells & buzzes & speaker changes. I did put spaces after hyphens with speaker changes, guys, since Nomada & I just think it reads easier, but we need a Guideline clarification, surely.

So happy that there were no problems with “it’s” or “its”, not even ONCE! :thumbsup:

And FINALLY :fc-sweat:
An English Lesson for the day: :fc-nerd: Is this a sentence? (Sentences are also known as independent clauses.) Hint: The answer is either ‘yes’ or ‘no’. A gold star (and a cookie) will be awarded to anyone who can explain ‘why’ or ‘why not’.

A pyramid scheme on steroids destined to fail for all.

Now... If nobody says nuttin', it's as ready as I can make it for translations, Nomada. :fc-burnt:

Great job on transcription, proofin', & timing.
((hugs)) from me,
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

3 registered users and 23 guests thanked already.

Suze, Ray, Borislav/lizardman

© Linguistic Team International 2018
Context In Motion