You are not logged in.

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Sunday, November 6th 2011, 12:40am

After listening again...

I thought it was a good 2nd proofing, but I noticed a few rules we may have agreed upon AFTER this one was done. The Eng. LT decided that we would NOT use punctuation (colon or comma) before direct quotes. So, I removed these when I listen this time. Also, we decided to use double quotes for direct quotes and single quotes for words and phrases. I made a few changes there. In the notes, I agree with JonWhit that Jacque is probably saying "Scott" not "God" (which was what I heard). Thank God, he didn't say 'God,' huh? LOL...

Great editing on lines:
01:53.780
01:57.188
What percentage go to the eyeglass area?
I totally agree about omitting the -How many people.... part of that.

I would say you're wayyy ahead of me when I was where you are! Gee, I'm glad you doing a final review on this one! Nice. :thumbsup:

Querious, let me know what you think of the latest LT decisions on punctation rules if you do the Final Review! Here's the latest rules : Guidelines

((hugs))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Di Anna" (Nov 6th 2011, 2:58am)

1 registered user and 14 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Sunday, November 6th 2011, 1:16am

A point I would like to discuss

From notes:
9:34ff
Changed the word "propulsion" to "propellent" as propellent is a physical object that can weigh 20#. It's the "fuel that he speaks of in the following sentence. Propulsion is a system or an action.

My question: Is it correct for us to do this, when Jacque obviously says "propulsion"? Sometimes, I'm not sure about changing what a person says, even though we are pretty sure we 'think' that's not what he meant. What do you guys say? Should we make sure by asking Jacque first?
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

11 guests thanked already.
  • "brunodc" is male
  • "brunodc" started this thread

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Sunday, November 6th 2011, 8:48am

The propellent thing is OK as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to open this video for translations 12 hours from now, anyone who wants to refine the transcription is free to do so.

1 registered user and 9 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Sunday, November 6th 2011, 12:16pm

Thanks, Bru-Bru,
From my perspective, it's ready to go. They only changes I made to Q's review were in punctuation. I noticed that Queurious didn't put his notes in the notepad, and I was going to do that just now, and I found out that they were there! Yippee! Did you put them there? Who's the 'Phantom of the Notepad'? :skull:

Love ya,
Di Di

Ohhhhhhh......JonWhit and Queurious, I think you guys are 'top of the line' ! Glad you're on the TEAM!
kisses :kiss: and hugs :bighug:

1 registered user and 10 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Queurious" is male

Date of registration: Oct 18th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Timestamp Adjustment Team
Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Linguistic TechTeam Group
Public Relations Group
Language Coordinator
Other - Not Listed Above

Sunday, November 6th 2011, 5:04pm

I edited some strings and made some corrections. Please have a look at the video.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Queurious" (Nov 6th 2011, 6:01pm)

1 registered user and 10 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Queurious" is male

Date of registration: Oct 18th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Timestamp Adjustment Team
Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Linguistic TechTeam Group
Public Relations Group
Language Coordinator
Other - Not Listed Above

Sunday, November 6th 2011, 5:17pm

1)Yes, I agree that we do not use colons before direct quotes. I had only put these in place as I thought it was common practice in LTI.

2)As for commas before quotes, I do not agree with the decision as the commas separate the quote and make it distinct in the string - which may be easier to read. Despite my disagreement, I will continue to abide by the rules.

3)I also agree with the use of double and single quotes as mentioned below - I have been following this practice outside of LTI as well.

4) Are there meetings to discuss the guidelines? I'd like to be a part of them if there are any.

I thought it was a good 2nd proofing, but I noticed a few rules we may have agreed upon AFTER this one was done. The Eng. LT decided that we would NOT use punctuation (colon or comma) before direct quotes. So, I removed these when I listen this time. Also, we decided to use double quotes for direct quotes and single quotes for words and phrases. I made a few changes there. In the notes, I agree with JonWhit that Jacque is probably saying "Scott" not "God" (which was what I heard). Thank God, he didn't say 'God,' huh? LOL...

Great editing on lines:
01:53.780
01:57.188
What percentage go to the eyeglass area?
I totally agree about omitting the -How many people.... part of that.

I would say you're wayyy ahead of me when I was where you are! Gee, I'm glad you doing a final review on this one! Nice. :thumbsup:

Querious, let me know what you think of the latest LT decisions on punctation rules if you do the Final Review! Here's the latest rules : Guidelines

((hugs))
Di

1 registered user and 9 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "brunodc" is male
  • "brunodc" started this thread

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Sunday, November 6th 2011, 6:36pm

This video is now open for translations.

1 registered user and 15 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Sunday, November 6th 2011, 7:04pm

1)Yes, I agree that we do not use colons before direct quotes. I had only put these in place as I thought it was common practice in LTI.

2)As for commas before quotes, I do not agree with the decision as the commas separate the quote and make it distinct in the string - which may be easier to read. Despite my disagreement, I will continue to abide by the rules.

After researching the use which has become more flexible, the LT decided that both commas and colons were unnecessary before direct quotes because quotation marks themselves signal a direct quote. In addition, the Team felt that this convention would keep subtitles as clean as possible.

3)I also agree with the use of double and single quotes as mentioned below - I have been following this practice outside of LTI as well.

Wow...you're been ahead of me on this one! Traditional American English uses single quotes only inside of double quotes. LOL...working on the LingTeam helps one give up her 'nationalism'. (note the use single quotes :ahaha: )

4) Are there meetings to discuss the guidelines? I'd like to be a part of them if there are any.

These things are discussed the the LTI meetings by anyone who wants to bring it up.

((hugs)) and thanks from me--
Di

2 registered users and 13 guests thanked already.

brunodc, Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion