You are not logged in.

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 4:33pm

Happy to see Mr. B

And after all those fine notes :thumbup: and team effort :clap: , I'll give you my take on the FINAL REVIEW, guys!

Doing this one next! :thumbsup:
((hugs))
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

1 registered user and 21 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 5:37pm

Response to Mr. B & Joe

In reading over your notes and comments, I would like to add this:
Also on notepad:

Remarks: (from Joe to Mr. B)
I think some of Jacque's mannerisms (So, And, etc.) are important for maintaining the flow and also the context of the message he is conveying, and so I have (re-) inserted them in some places.
There seems to be a minimalist approach here with commas and other punctation, no doubt for easier readability overall. I can dig that, but still feel that in some places, especially in longer sentences, it is necessary to set off phrases with some minimum punctation, ie, a comma.

@Joe Park: I agree with your remarks here. Sometimes, I leave in the so's, and's, and but's in the strings, as well. Although we have guidelines, there's always exceptions for the sake of being as clear as possible, and helping the translators who follow us.

To comment further about this, notice this example I just saw while doing the Final Review: Here, I agree that we need to keep the 'But' for the flow. It would be better not to begin the sentence with 'But' because what we want to convey is a joining of thoughts. I opted to change it to this:

It has medical, hospitals, emergency rooms
but it has no kitchens in the bedroom; there's a dining area. (good use of semicolon here, too).

Also, I opted to OMIT the 'And' in the next line. Here is an example of where it would NOT be necessary to connect the thoughts for flow. In fact, I think it makes more sense without the 'And'. I changed it to:
It's inefficient to put a kitchen in every bedroom.

Here's the original:
00:05.060
00:09.120
It has medical, hospitals, emergency rooms.
00:09.280
00:13.530
But it has no kitchens in the bedrooms; there's a dining area.
00:13.700
00:17.890
And it's inefficient to put a kitchen in every bedroom
00:18.090
00:20.870
on the ocean liner. Do you understand that?

How do you guys feels about that example? Are we in agreement, in this case?
Thanks,
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

2 registered users and 18 guests thanked already.

nomada, Ray

• "brunodc" is male
  • "brunodc" started this thread

Date of registration: May 31st 2011

Language Team: French

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Language Coordinator
LTI Administration Group
LTI Development Group

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 8:53pm

Absolutely, Di. As a matter of fact, if you take a look at the Jacque lecture "What the Future holds beyond 2000", I've taken the habit of removing most of the "so" and "and"s. To me, it's almost a given to trim those (in most cases)

3 registered users and 20 guests thanked already.

nomada, Di Anna, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Friday, February 24th 2012, 7:55pm

Final Review COMPLETED

Ready to go, guys!
A friendly little reminder about our guidelines: NO COMMAS AT THE ENDS OF STRINGS PLEASE ! :nonono:
((hugs)) from me ^^
Di

1 registered user and 17 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Mr_B" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Friday, February 24th 2012, 9:13pm

I am also good with all your remarks and suggestions Di. Re: commas at the end of strings, I did not know there was a commandment against this, but I can understand why. Again, it's just that some sentences struck me as soo long (across 3~4 subs), with multiple thoughts combined, that I thought I had to put in a comma here and there just to fence off the different thoughts for the viewer. But the rule is the rule and I will honor it going forward. Just so we are on the same page, where are the guidelines again?
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

2 registered users and 21 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Saturday, February 25th 2012, 1:42am

Thanks, Mr. B

Oooooo....I'm so glad that you are here, Mr. B. :thumbsup: When I first began as an Eng proofer, I struggled accepting those 'strange' rules we have adopted as a team, like no commas at the ends of strings-- and single quotes, too. I have NEVER used single quotes like we do on the Ling Team. If we were proofing written documents, of course, we would have commas in those places, but a video subtitle is a different animal altogether. The viewer of a video is different from the reader of a document. We need to be as 'clean as a whistle' and easy on the eyes. The video viewer needs time to see both the text and the pictures on the screen. No commas at the ends of strings help the flow, because we naturally pause when the line ends. Let's just pretend that the commas are 'understood' commas because it's the end of the line. Like this simple sentence: Stop. (The subject in this sentence is understood to be 'You' and the sentence is really --- You stop. But there's no 'you' in the sentence.) OK? So let's pretend that the commas are 'understood' to be there. :ahaha:

Anyway, the guidelines you asked about are HERE.

And thanks again, Mr. B, for being a great team player!

Sometimes it's hard for us traditional American English 'authorities' to think outside the box. I understand very well...I learned all those standard English grammar and usage rules that could NEVER be broken. Now, I LOVE thinking 'outside that box'. I like to call it the scientific method of communication --- at its best.

((hugs)) :bighug: from me,
Di

1 registered user and 23 guests thanked already.

Ray

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Saturday, February 25th 2012, 5:22am

Open for translation

This video is now open for translations. Great job fellows!!

hugs
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

1 registered user and 20 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Mr_B" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Sunday, February 26th 2012, 2:01pm

Sh*t Teach! I was flying blind without this valuable reference. I may have seen it once long ago but forgot about it; now I have it bookmarked and will certainly refer to it going forward. Sheesh, now I feel like I should go back and re-do the last 3 vids according to these guidelines. Oh well, as Final Reviewer I assume you caught/will catch all of my obvious infractions. Sorry for the mayhem.

Hope you're not annoyed; here, have an apple :smiley:
Mr_B has attached the following image:
  • apple.jpg
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

1 registered user and 19 guests thanked already.

Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion