You are not logged in.

• "ralle4" is female

Date of registration: Jul 27th 2012

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Transcriber
English Proofreader
Public Relations Group

Saturday, August 15th 2015, 5:25pm

So, let's ask @Di Anna: or someone else to weigh in. The commas are technically correct, I'm pretty sure, but it does not bother me w/o them, at all, and I was kinda wondering whether they are actually needed when working on it, too. :) The comma I added in this sentence, @ 00:33.000 - 00:36.000 -- "And we can change it, any time we want." I am not so sure if's necessary, either. Let's let someone else have a look. :)

Thanks, Franky!! I'll pick up the PR2 on your talk from Z-Day next. :) I think Dave is nearly done, now. :rose:

This post has been edited 9 times, last edit by "ralle4" (Aug 17th 2015, 6:03am)

21 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male
  • "Ray" started this thread

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Sunday, August 16th 2015, 4:35am

If the effort here was only intended to produce an English transcript, I might agree with the inclusion of commas to show Jacque's pauses in the phrase "The entire money structured, and materialistic-oriented, society is a false society.", but our goal here is setting up the project for accurate and (relatively) distraction-free translations, which basically means that those 'pause/thought collection' commas would become a distraction to many of our translators, and their inclusion could become easily 'lost in translation' (misunderstood). It's for this reason that I rarely agree with adding/not removing commas of such 'pause' origin in our transcriptions.
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Ray" (Aug 19th 2015, 7:01pm)

1 registered user and 57 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Di Anna

• "Di Anna" is female

Date of registration: Jun 12th 2011

Language Team: ENGLISH

Focus Group: English Proofreader
Final Reviewer

Thursday, August 20th 2015, 5:50pm

Before:
01:20.500-01:26.000 [Jacque Fresco] The entire money structured, and materialistic-oriented, society is a false society.

After:
01:20.500-01:26.000 [Jacque Fresco] The entire money-structured and materialistic-oriented society is a false society.

Let me know if you agree with it.

I agree with Franky's 'optimization' above. :thumbsup: The use of commas there would be separating a compound adjective phrase (The entire money-structured and materialistic-oriented) from the noun it describes (society). Also, extra gold star for the hyphenation of 'money-structured'. :star:

I was kinda wondering whether they are actually needed when working on it, too. The comma I added in this sentence, @ 00:33.000 - 00:36.000 -- "And we can change it, any time we want." I am not so sure if's necessary, either. Let's let someone else have a look.

Here, I agree with Ramona. The comma is correct and although not a big deal, I think the sentence is structurally clearer with it because "And we can change it" is an introductory dependent clause (even though 'and' is not a subordinating conjunction and technically shouldn't be introducing a sentence, it is being used that way here. That's another topic for discussion, 8| )So... I like Ramona's choice of using a comma after the introductory dependent clause, and separating it from the main clause which is "any time we want [to change it]."

That's probably clear as mud, huh? :dunno:

Geez, it would've been wonderful if my students in school were as 'thinking' as you guys are! 8o

Big ((hugs)) to all. Love ya so! :loveya:
Di
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

2 registered users and 47 guests thanked already.

FrankySnatra, Ray

• "ralle4" is female

English Proofreader
Public Relations Group

Thursday, August 20th 2015, 7:59pm

@Di Anna: Thank you so much Di!! I appreciate, so much, the clarity on this. Really helps a lot! :bow: Good thing I have my German friends ( @FrankySnatra: ) to help me w/ my English, lol. :embarrassed: :thumbup: Jeez,... haha. :)

So, I have removed the commas around "and materialistic-oriented", and now I understand why. :thumbup: (I really was unsure what was correct English punctuation, here. ?( ) Now I'll be better equipped to work on @FrankySnatra: 's piece, too, and do a great PR2. :clap: :thumbsup: Yay!! :)

And PR1 is officially complete on this, and it is now open for PR2. :clap:

10 guests thanked already.
  • "Mr_B" is male

Date of registration: Dec 24th 2011

Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator

Saturday, August 22nd 2015, 10:53pm

I grabbed this and PR2-ed it; it's pushed out and ready for FR, and analysis file attached. I tweaked some of the suggestions above.
Mr_B has attached the following file:
Signature from »Mr_B« Mr_Z (the miscreant formerly known as Mr_B)
English Dept coord

3 registered users and 38 guests thanked already.

ralle4, Di Anna, Ray

• "ralle4" is female

English Proofreader
Public Relations Group

Sunday, August 23rd 2015, 1:24am

@Mr_B: It looks really good. :)

2 registered users and 36 guests thanked already.

Di Anna, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Sunday, August 23rd 2015, 2:01am

Final Review time?

Thanks for all the preparation, guys!
I'll give it a final review and post anything I notice here.

Love to all,
Di :love:
Signature from »Di Anna« Important: The forum can send you an email for each post that you are interested in.
Please follow these directions to adjust your settings so that you receive communications.

2 registered users and 41 guests thanked already.

ralle4, Ray

• "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Sunday, August 23rd 2015, 2:40am

Final Review Completed

Looks really nice! :clap:

I made two changes having to do with quotation marks. Here's the first:

01:01.870
01:05.290
[Jacque Fresco] Kids will ask their parents "Dad, couldn't you see that war

01:05.420
01:07.772
was inevitable when you produce scarcity?"

I removed the colon after parents, and inserted quotation marks. Our last decision was to omit punctuation before the quotation. The reason for this was because it is cleaner and the quotation mark signals a direct quote.

Here's the second:

01:12.490
01:14.110
Now they just put it right out front and say

01:14.215
01:15.716
"This is what we're doing to you, folks."

Single quotes were used in the transcription and I changed them to double quotes. It's a direct quotation.

I forgot how much I love Addendum. I think I'll just go watch it again!

If there's no discussion, it looks good for translations. I marked the transcription closed.
:love:
Di

2 registered users and 39 guests thanked already.

Mr_Z, Ray

• "ralle4" is female

English Proofreader
Public Relations Group

Sunday, August 23rd 2015, 3:30am

@Di Anna: So I have a question, tho. I understand that quotation marks (regular, double-ones) are reserved for direct quotes only. So, why, since both of these quotes are, I'm not sure if you would call it inferred in both cases, or not, but they are both things that someone else is saying (or thinking) someone will say, or might say (Jacques is speaking as to what he imagines is the logical outcome to happen in the future, but nothing has actually been said), and in the case of George Carlin, it is more like definitely inferred, because no one actually says it, but it is said thru implication (meaning by what the government/'powers that be' does/do)are you using the full quotation marks? 'nother grammar lesson for me, a semi-dedicated English proofer, lol. :). It is for this reason I would disagree. (But, it does look really good, and really clean. :))

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "ralle4" (Aug 23rd 2015, 5:43am)

10 guests thanked already.
  • "Di Anna" is female

Final Reviewer

Sunday, August 23rd 2015, 6:52pm

Thank you, Ramona, for questioning. :thumbup: Agreeing to disagree is what constitutes good Teamwork. I would like to hear from a few others before responding to the technical question about inference. What do others think about whether the use of quotation marks here adds to the clarity of who's speaking to whom, and also whether or not this helps the readability of the subtitles, and ease of translation. Maybe we could hear from some who have worked on this project like @Mr_B: and @FrankySnatra: and anyone else who would like to weigh in.

:bighug: from me,
Di

2 registered users and 38 guests thanked already.

ralle4, Ray

Used tags

addendum, Trailer, Zeitgeist

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion