Language Team: German

Focus Group: Translator
Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Sunday, March 23rd 2014, 10:30am

@Christos Pap.:
So what are you waiting for? Just do the final review here and especially look for the punctuation marks!
Great that you are telling this now. :D
Signature from »ossi11111« Willst du beim Übersetzen mithelfen?
E-Mail an: GermanLingTeam@gmail.com

Bisher veröffentlichte Videos mit deutschen Untertiteln:
GermanLingTeam - YouTube

1 registered user and 20 guests thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Ray

Date of registration: Jan 4th 2013

Language Team: English

Focus Group: English Transcriber

Sunday, March 23rd 2014, 8:15pm

Who would you suggest instead?

@marc.verbenkov:
I think it's a good project to start with, because it is not too long and it is close to finalization, so you can get a motivation boost soon, if you see the transcript online which you worked on. :)
We would very much appreciate, if you could have a quick look at the transcript here. It is probably not that much to change. You just need to look for punctuation marks.
We would be very thankful, if you could support us in this case with your English knowledge. If you want to help, just mark the corrections in the following text pad (it is very easy to use): Etherpad
The currently used lines are marked with the symbols .

You just need to open the link and write down your corrections there as described in the text pad. If you have further questions just ask me.
We are looking forward for you lending us your accurate eye. (I am not sure, if this phrase is understandable. You see how much we need your help here. ;))
haha yup I understand what you mean just fine.
I had a look over it and it looks great. I saved the revision too.
:)

2 registered users and 16 guests thanked already.

ossi11111, Ray

• "ossi11111" is male

Date of registration: Nov 27th 2013

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Sunday, March 23rd 2014, 8:39pm

@marc.verbenkov:
Thank you very much. That was easy, wasn't it?

@Christos Pap.:
Lucky you, we are already done with the check. ;)

@nomada:
Maybe a quick look on the timestamps by you? Because I am not that experienced in that, although I worked very carefully.
There you go: Jacque Fresco-Depression, Self Identification-Sept 5, 2011 (2/2) - Captioning in progress | Dotsub
This will be the very last check and we are done. :)

GermanLingTeam - YouTube

1 registered user and 17 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Date of registration: May 23rd 2011

Language Team: Global

Focus Group: LTI Administration Group

Sunday, March 23rd 2014, 9:55pm

The final review stage is more than just checking grammar & punctuation. It's also a consistency & flow check of the material in its entirety (including timing accuracy & flow) to ensure that all distractions are minimized.

Let me know when you folks have it to the point where you feel it's ready for the public and I'll handle the FR. With all of the intense focus you guys have been putting on it, there may not be much, if anything, to report back on when I'm done. ^^
Signature from »Ray« Earth For Sale:
Slightly Used; inquire within

20 guests thanked already.
  • "ossi11111" is male

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Monday, March 24th 2014, 9:17am

Of course Ray. Maybe you just wanted to point that out for the others.
Just let me do, what I am doing and then judge the result. :tongue:

GermanLingTeam - YouTube

1 registered user and 20 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "Ray" is male

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 1:41am

That's exactly what I'm doing, my friend, while requesting direct notification when it's ready for the final review. :drinks:

For anyone unaware: To 'call' someone to a specific post, surround their exact username with @ and : (ex. @Ray: will notify &, when I click the link provided to me in the notice by the forum, bring me directly to any post that includes it)

18 guests thanked already.
  • "Ray" is male

Tuesday, March 25th 2014, 2:21am

@Ray What do you mean by "graduate"

It was basically a play on words, but the concept pretty much holds true. There are many details that a final review covers, so the role is not handed out to just anyone without some amount of mentoring and them showing that their review respects LTI's guidelines. So, in a way, it's a sort of graduation.

I have a question. I'm not actually a teacher but I have a proficiency certificate since I was 15 and I got a language mastery certificate 3 years ago which means I am unofficially an English teacher. I have actually worked a little as a helping teacher in a school but not as a fully independent and professional teacher. I am currently an undergraduate student of English Language and Literature. Do you think I can try a final review? Should I contact Di, maybe, for another test ? I've been currently focusing on trying to learn how to time-shift but if this is what is needed most, I'd love to try it. I really want to improve my language because my survival may depend on it This is a great opportunity.

Of course you can try it. The most pressing needs within the English Dep't to clean up what is already in the system are for many proofreaders & a few qualified final reviewers. Of course, when considering future projects, those needs expand to pretty much everything. Come and chat with me in Skype if you're serious. ;)

19 guests thanked already.
  • "ossi11111" is male

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Saturday, March 29th 2014, 8:06pm

@nomada:
Obviously you do not have time to lend us your excellent time-shifting eyes. Could you suggest anyone else who could do this very last step and is at least half as good as you? ;)
I just need somebody to say "OK" to the work I have done. :)

That's the working location: Jacque Fresco-Depression, Self Identification-Sept 5, 2011 (2/2) - Captioning in progress | Dotsub

GermanLingTeam - YouTube

1 registered user and 19 guests thanked already.

Ray

• "nomada" started this thread

Date of registration: May 24th 2011

Language Team: English

Focus Group: Timestamp Adjustment Team
Public Relations Group

Sunday, March 30th 2014, 3:17am

Obviously you do not have time to lend us your excellent time-shifting eyes.
And they have just cut one hour to what we had :D
I completely forgot about this.
So here's what I think you need to focus in order to improve it. First, an overview of how Timeshifting/transcription guidelines are determined for all LTI; last, at the bottom of the post, how I am doing it lately.

From the guidelines below, taken from a wiki page which the info could need some updates and that is why I copy this from there, if you follow the 1st guideline, the other 2 will be almost always well applied too. In other words, if you divide the strings according to the grammar rules for building sentences and the flow of the speech (the rules to make sentences are in accordance to how ideas are connected and transmited -nouns, verbs, complements, etc; Jacque usually has a nice flow and respects these rules when talking, which makes our life easier), the resulting strings will tend to be longer than 1,5 seconds and shorter than 80 characters. If they end up being not so, 1,5 characters is critical because if the string passes too fast we can not read it or it will tire us from following the subs. 80+ characters strings might be preferable, sometimes, if the reading time improves by making the strings longer. With Jacques speech we usually don't find this challenge but we do with Peter quite often. Nevertheless, I find the strings on the working location above quite short and so changing often, which demands some focus from my eyes when watching. I like to appreciate Jacques expressions and to enjoy the extra time he allows with his speech pace to fetch more references in my mind about what he is telling. If the subs transition between strings in shorter periods of time, I can't do that so well.

• Consider the strings structure through 2 main parameters: a) the grammatical structure of the sentences
when determining the [transition point]
from one string to the next one, and b) the character per second ratio
in the subtitles strings display time, in order to achieve the best
reading comfort possible.

• Minimum display time for a subtitle: 1.5 seconds
Consider leaving at least 1.5 seconds for 1 line of text or less (42
characters), and at least 2 seconds for more than one line (more than 42
characters), if possible.

• String length consideration for a subtitle string, ~70 characters (including spaces),
Since the maximum in a TV screen is 84 chars (two lines, 42
characters per line), this reference of 70 chars is taking other
languages into consideration (those that use more letters than English
to say the same thing). Some languages need up to an extra 25% of string
space, but be aware that splitting the speech in smaller strings can
also compromise the reading comfort.

What I am doing lately, when transcribing or revising, is to divide the strings according to the sentence/ideas structure and the reading time, in a combination of these two towards the best reading comfort. If it is possible to have that comfort and not have 2 full lines of text on the screen, I leave them shorter [ex: until 1,75 (1+3/4) lines, depends mostly of the sentence(s) structure(s)] in order to avoid other languages to have to use 3 lines of text on screen to fit their translations. If that change compromises the reading comfort, I put it back as it were and leave the strings bigger (longer in words but also in reading time)

Synchronization can be compromised in order to achieve this reading comfort. Aesthetics is secondary to effectiveness.

I hope this helps.
have fun ; )
Signature from »nomada« Click to know how to: - Receive email notifications - Join the LTI biweekly Meetings

3 registered users and 22 guests thanked already.

Ray, ossi11111, Borislav/lizardman

• "ossi11111" is male

Translation Proofreader
Final Reviewer
Language Coordinator
LTI Development Group

Sunday, March 30th 2014, 1:48pm

@nomada:
I worked on it again.
Please, could you give it another look: Jacque Fresco-Depression, Self Identification-Sept 5, 2011 (2/2) - Captioning in progress | Dotsub

My first attempt was to synchronize it very good with the cuts of the video. I realized that this wasn't a good idea though. :)
I connected several lines now where it seemed appropriate to me. If there are still bad lines could you give a concrete example on each of the types I did wrong together with a suggestion on how to change it, please. This would help me very much to learn it faster, more effective and understand what you are referring to.

Thank you again for your more tired time-shifting eyes now. ;)

P.S.: To go over it again helped to find some minor mistakes in the text of the transcript, too. That's great.

GermanLingTeam - YouTube

3 registered users and 21 guests thanked already.

nomada, Borislav/lizardman, Ray

© Linguistic Team International 2019
Context In Motion